Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The BIG Question

scrunching or folding??

Poll closed Feb 22, 2009.
  1. I'm a folder!

23 vote(s)
    57.5%
  2. I'm a scruncher!

13 vote(s)
    32.5%
  3. I have a different method (explain!?!?)

4 vote(s)
    10.0%
  1. Feb 23, 2008 #1
    Now, ive been on PF for a little while and have noted a vast array of important polling questions...

HOWEVER!! We are missing one, and not just any one either. We're missing the BIG one.

So in the name of science and for the benefit of mankind I think it appropriate to ask this question, in a hope to answer this conundrum of the ages...

What is better?

Folding or Scrunching?

The fate of the toiletry ritual hangs in the balance, vote wisely and good luck!!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 23, 2008 #2

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm a person laughing my @ss off at this poll...!!

4. Feb 23, 2008 #3

Danger

Gold Member

In that case, you needn't do either.

5. Feb 23, 2008 #4

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I fold first, then I may scrunch it some.

6. Feb 23, 2008 #5
    Different Method

[​IMG]

Works a treat, say goodbye to those hard to reach areas.

I crumple :(

7. Feb 23, 2008 #6

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl:

Crumple vs. fold? I'm more surprised that there has been no debate over whether the paper should hang over or under the roll.

8. Feb 23, 2008 #7

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I didn't think the direction the paper hung ever mattered until I got a cat, then I found it needs to hang down behind the roll, not in front. If it hangs down behind the roll and the cat decides to paw at the roll and spin it, it stays wound up. If it hangs in front of the roll, and she spins it, she gets a nice, unraveled length of TP to grab and run with!

I didn't realize people folded TP before using it. That seems like a lot of effort, and overly dainty for something used for such a purpose and immediately discarded!

9. Feb 23, 2008 #8

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Argh! Its hangs down in front and is folded. Are you people mad?

10. Feb 23, 2008 #9

Evo

I thought we were talking about toilet paper. :blushing:

11. Feb 23, 2008 #10

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl: If only the second part were true.

12. Feb 23, 2008 #11
    then what is the relation ?

13. Feb 23, 2008 #12

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I am WAY TOO LAZY to fold....

There are only so many hours in a day, people! How many hours are wasted folding?! :biggrin:

14. Feb 23, 2008 #13

Evo

As it comes off the roll, you can either wrap it around your hand so it's naturally folded or just let it drop into folds, the sections cause this naturally.

15. Feb 23, 2008 #14
    I, for once, am shocked that in this day and age, with all the information we have available, scientists and mathematicians (of all people!) would ever even consider scrunching!

I expect this from the uneducated man who does not understand the intricacies of proper toilet-paper usage and what an ineffective use of the toilet's surface area scrunching is.

but you. yes, YOU!: 42% of PF who scrunch... you, who haughtily admit to taking part in this most terrible of practices. Have you no scruples!

A dark age for science. A step back for humanity. Thank you, ||spoon||, for bringing this issue to light.

16. Feb 23, 2008 #15
    I agree with Evo, it's only natural to fold when the roll is perforated just right. You have to fold (or scrunch alot), otherwise your finger just pops through.

17. Feb 23, 2008 #16
    Is this a question about @ss wiping? Anyways, I'll with hold comments, but interject these two words. Polish Method

18. Feb 23, 2008 #17
    I'm a folder from way back. As a matter of fact, I believe I come from several generations of folders.

19. Feb 23, 2008 #18

Evo

I just can't imagine life before toilet paper.

But having traveled through Europe where bathrooms at train stations are no more than holes in the floor and nothing to wipe with. That toilets on trains were simply holes in the bottom of the train where you could see the track going by under you and the breeze was not conducive to urinating. Of course there was a sign asking you not to relieve yourself when nearing a road crossing as you would spray people waiting to cross.

20. Feb 23, 2008 #19
    Well i figure the OP should put in his two cents about now.

I would say i am a folder, however, a folder with variation! A variation i like to call the "wrap and withdraw method" I have found it to be the quickest and most efficient form of "cleaning the crevice".

Simply put (for there are exhaustive volumes dedicated to the method) you wrap the toilet paper (which is hanging from the front) around your hand as many times as you deem nesscary to get the job done, whilst not wrapping TOO tightly.

Once you have a sufficient amount of "poo tickets", you withdraw your hand and you are left with a nice and neat, fool proof and folded piece of genius to do the dirty work.

Then you must always remember and never forget to FLUSH! or else it may turn ugly.

-||spoon||

21. Feb 23, 2008 #20

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Kurdt is correct. All others are stupidheads.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?