Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The 'Big Rock' Paradox

1. Mar 17, 2009 #1
    I was first introduced to this thought-experiment upon reading Stephen Hawking's A Brief History of Time . Suppose an omnipotent being exists. If it does, it would be able to do anything (by definition!). Therefore, it would be able to produce a rock it couldn't lift. Therefore, it wouldn't be able to do anything it wants, therefore it wouldn't be omnipotent. What do you think?
    Please nothe that I have phrased this thread to avoid it being locked. Please keep that in mind if you comment.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 17, 2009 #2
    An all powerful being, would be capable of making itself as 'physically strong', at any given moment, as it wanted to. So it makes itself physically capable of lifting a certain amount. Then it makes a rock that weighs more. Now it can't lift it. Then it decides it really wants to, so it makes itself physically stronger. Voila.

4. Mar 17, 2009 #3
    Hmmm.... your argument is invalid due to the definition of omnipotence. An omnipotent being can't make itself stronger to lift a rock ... its omnipotence already ensures it can do that.

5. Mar 17, 2009 #4

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I prefer the other version of this question: Could God make a salsa so hot that he can't eat it?

6. Mar 17, 2009 #5
    It ensures that it 'can', not that it 'must' in any particular instance.

7. Mar 17, 2009 #6

DaveC426913

Gold Member

To me, this has little to do with a thought-experiment and much more to do with the semantics of "omnipotent".

i.e. so there's a word in the English language wherein you can form sentences that are seemingly paradoxical. So what?

8. Mar 17, 2009 #7
    The fact that 'omnipotent' is paradoxical means it can't exist.

9. Mar 17, 2009 #8
    But since it CAN'T, it isn't omnipotent.

10. Mar 17, 2009 #9
    It can when it wants to. And yes, its a word game.

But just because our understanding of something seems paradoxical, doesn't mean that something doesn't exist.

11. Mar 17, 2009 #10

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Alternately:

12. Mar 17, 2009 #11
    All hail the Big Rock.

13. Mar 17, 2009 #12
    Liars are paradoxical, as I am sure you know, but they do exist.

14. Mar 17, 2009 #13
    Maybe its Schroedinger's rock.

15. Mar 18, 2009 #14
    Liars aren't paradoxical. People who admit that they are liars are paradoxical.

16. Mar 18, 2009 #15
    Suppose a right-wing radio commentator were to say, "I always tell the truth." That's not paradoxical; it's merely that we ordinary mortals are incapable of understanding the meanings of superior beings. So might it be with gods.

17. Mar 18, 2009 #16

jambaugh

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This is actually a form of Russell's paradox. (Define the set of all sets which do not contain themselves as elements and ask if that set contains itself.) You can form this when you allow both open ended definitions and circular or self reference.

This is the problem with open ended definitions e.g. omnipotence. To solve this one you just have to acknowledge that "a rock that God couldn't lift" is an ill defined concept as given any rock that could exist this God could both create and lift a larger one. Omnipotence only covers the ability to effect well defined states of reality.

18. Mar 18, 2009 #17

alxm

Science Advisor

It's called the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omnipotence_paradox" [Broken].

As far as Christianity is concerned, a fairly authoritative answer was given by http://www.ccel.org/ccel/aquinas/summa.FP_Q25_A3.html" [Broken] in Summa Theologica's first book.

Not really an interesting question IMHO.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  19. Mar 18, 2009 #18

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Which is actually a subset of http://xkcd.com/468/" [Broken]. o:)

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  20. Mar 18, 2009 #19
    Omnipotent beings are then not impossible in general, only those omnipotent beings that make rocks so heavy that they cannot lift them are paradoxical. In other words, any liar and any omnipotent being has the potential to be paradoxical.

21. Mar 18, 2009 #20
    What if the god moved the universe so the rock will have, in effect, been moved?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook