The 'Big Spanish Castle' Illusion

• Thread starter neutrino
  • Start date
In summary, the author mentions that there are many optical illusions, and that one of them is messing with people's brains. He also points out that one of the illusions is that people think they're getting information from their eyes, when in reality it's the brain that's doing the thinking.
neutrino
This is great. Check it out.

http://www.johnsadowski.com/big_spanish_castle.html

Physics news on Phys.org
whoa that is intense...nice find!

After about 20 seconds of staring I thought I saw a face in the clouds.

Jeff Reid said:
Another one, also based on your color receptors getting fatigued:

cool_illusion.html
That's a pretty famous/popular one.

Hey you guys broke it!

Goddamit, I just wasted 30 seconds of my time!

veryodd1kb.jpg

Wow that's cool it looks like it's moving when it isn't.

Hooray, more support for my theory of the validity of the particle-hole transformation to visual responses to color. (yuck, all those prepositions...preposterous, wot?)

Connect the black dots.

blackdots4mi.gif

Ahhhhhh! STOP Messing with my eyes!

mattmns said:
STOP Messing with my eyes!
It's not your eyes that they playing with it's your brain. The brain thinks it's getting infomation form the eye's that it isn't that is how an opitical illisioun is formed.

scott1 said:
It's not your eyes that they playing with it's your brain. The brain thinks it's getting infomation form the eye's that it isn't that is how an opitical illisioun is formed.
Yeah, I'm messing with your brain. :devil:

scott1 said:
Yeah... like how if you stare at that post long enough the spelling mistakes disappear. :tongue:

Danger said:
Yeah... like how if you stare at that post long enough the spelling mistakes disappear. :tongue:
17 4|w4y5 w0rk5 700.
it always woks too.
Edit:How did that one not work?

y0u 5p311 b3773r wh3n y0u 7yp3 1337 :smile:

Last edited:
mattmns said:
y0u 5p311 b33773r wh3n y0u 7yp3 1337 :smile:
I noticed that too. Truly scary! :uhh:

:rofl: And in that post I made a typo

And I'm quite irritated that you admitted it before I could pounce on it. :grumpy: :biggrin:

Reminds me of back in 1972, when a guy named Bill bought one of the first electronic slide rules, a HP 35. A friend spelled hello bill upside down on it and freaked out Bill, with these numbers: 7718 0ll34.

Jeff Reid said:
Reminds me of back in 1972, when a guy named Bill bought one of the first electronic slide rules, a HP 35. A friend spelled hello bill upside down on it and freaked out Bill, with these numbers: 7718 0ll34.
Yeah, my favorite satellite orbit is circular with a radius of 12,988.1815 km. (actually, you need a pretty cheap calculator for that to work well)

Last edited:

What is "The 'Big Spanish Castle' Illusion"?

"The 'Big Spanish Castle' Illusion" is a visual illusion that involves two identical images of a castle, one placed on top of the other. When viewed from a certain angle, the top castle appears larger than the bottom one, creating the illusion of depth and size difference.

How does "The 'Big Spanish Castle' Illusion" work?

This illusion works due to the way our brains process visual information. Our brains use size constancy, which means they adjust the perceived size of an object based on its distance from us. In this illusion, the top castle appears farther away than the bottom one, so our brain makes it appear larger to compensate for the distance.

Who discovered "The 'Big Spanish Castle' Illusion"?

The exact origins of this illusion are unknown, but it is believed to have been first described by the German psychologist Johann Karl Friedrich Zöllner in the 19th century. It has since been studied and popularized by various scientists and artists.

What other illusions are similar to "The 'Big Spanish Castle' Illusion"?

There are many other visual illusions that involve size and depth perception, such as the Ames room illusion, the Ponzo illusion, and the Ebbinghaus illusion. These illusions all exploit the way our brain interprets visual information and can be used to study the mechanisms behind perception.

What is the practical application of studying "The 'Big Spanish Castle' Illusion"?

Studying this illusion can help us better understand how our brains process visual information and how perception can be manipulated. This knowledge can be applied in various fields such as art, design, marketing, and even in virtual and augmented reality technologies.