The Evolution of Morality: A Biologist's Perspective

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Biology
In summary: According to this theory, humans are the only animals that can truly empathize with others, and as a result, have a strong moral code. This code is based on the assumption that humans are the only animals that can truly feel empathy for other beings, and that this empathy is what leads to the development of morality. While the theory has been widely accepted by biologists, it has not been without its critics. Those who believe that other animals can feel empathy also believe that this empathy is what leads to the development of morality in those animals.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Some animals are surprisingly sensitive to the plight of others. Chimpanzees, who cannot swim, have drowned in zoo moats trying to save others. Given the chance to get food by pulling a chain that would also deliver an electric shock to a companion, rhesus monkeys will starve themselves for several days.

Biologists argue that these and other social behaviors are the precursors of human morality. They further believe that if morality grew out of behavioral rules shaped by evolution, it is for biologists, not philosophers or theologians, to say what these rules are.

Moral philosophers do not take very seriously the biologists’ bid to annex their subject, but they find much of interest in what the biologists say and have started an academic conversation with them. [continued]
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/20/science/20moral.html

I can see it now: The Church of Moonbear. :biggrin:

Biology news on Phys.org
Ivan Seeking said:
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/20/science/20moral.html

I can see it now: The Church of Moonbear. :biggrin:

:rofl: Please send your donations to... :biggrin:

Actually, I've always taken a related, but slightly different perspective on morality. I don't see it as something we have evolved beyond other animals. Every social animal has a set of rules they seem to abide by and enforce when broken, and human "morality" is just another set of social rules. What the excerpt posted here (haven't gone and read the full length story yet) leaves out is that in addition to these seemingly altruistic behaviors, these animals will also brutally punish members of their society that break the "rules." Cross into someone else's territory, or don't back down when challenged, and there may be a fight to the death. Since we still have a death penalty for breaking serious rules in human society, are we really all that different from other animals?

Will biologists choose the rules? No, I don't think so. We just observe them and the behaviors associated with them and the consequences to human health and social interactions as they change. We do influence them by being part of the society, but no more so than anyone else does, in my opinion. We may wish we had more influence, but doesn't everyone?

Moral philosophers do not take very seriously the biologists’ bid to annex their subject...
Mmm. I imagine witchdoctors don't appreciate weather forecasting too much either.

Sure, well, just wait until the biologists inadvertantly reproduce the Ten Commandments! :biggrin:

To what degree can the rules for morality be written solely as a function of evolution? It may be an interesting problem to discern between evolved moral traits, and those acquired socially.

I wonder about another component of this. Do animals love, and hate, as we do? Even if animal behavior can all be reduced to this hormone, or that stimulated response, can't human reactions be reduced in a similar manner? Why would we be fundamentally different in how we feel about each other, or about our pets for that matter, as compared to how they feel? Frankly, I find it hard to believe that my cats don't really love me. :biggrin:

Is there really a distinction between moral traits selected throughout evolution and the so called morals derived from religion? Is morals really just a social construction?

One example could be that special feeling humans get when they are in the presence of a baby, making use want to pay more attention to it and take care of him or her. All babies are cute, no matter what or who they grow up to. This looks like something that has at least some contribution from evolutionary biology, as parents who pay less attention to their offspring have a greater chance of getting them killed and thus, not being able to pass down its own genotype. It might be so that such behavior towards small children have been selected against.

Is the only reason that people do not go around killing everyone in sight to get rid of the competition that they are afraid of becoming outcasts of society? From a strictly evolutionary standpoint, killing everyone around you (or even some) can serve as a negative factor towards the killer's particular set of traits.

Using the model of the prisoners dilemma from Game Theory, it can be clearly seen that cooperation in some areas and points in time is highly advantageous.

I am quit surprised that this subject has just recently caught wind in the press, since it is over 20 years since the BBC Horizon documentary "Nice Guys Finish First" staring evolutionary zoologist Richard Dawkins was aired. This subject is also briefly addressed at the end of "The Virus of Faith".

http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=Nice+Guys+Finish+First
http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=The+virus+of+faith

According to the Pulitzer Prize winner http://www.lauriegarrett.com/index_withintro.html , humans have a hard time viewing themselves as just another specie on the planet and just another part of the general ecology.

One of the reasons that some humans see themselves as special compared to other animals on the planet can be related to religion.

Ivan Seeking, if hormones makes use 'fall in love', why couldn't a similar process happen in other primates if these hormones have been selected through evolution if they aid our reproduction in some way?

Last edited by a moderator:
The more social a species.. the more likely moral behavior centers will evolve.

While many species of monkeys will display these behaviors.. I highly doubt you will EVER see most species of shark displaying anything remotely resembling moral behavior.

Social creatures realize their need to rely upon each other to survive. The will develop behaviors to help others .. in effect helpign their own chances of survival.

unfortunatey.. monkeys may not realzie they can't swim.. acting on pure impulse to save their buddy. n the end only drowning themseleves... while a human who knows he cannot swim will call another who can.

the electrified food chain.. the monkey does not know the chain will not kill his friend.. and may not realize that his efforts will result in his own demise..

1. What is the biology of morality?

The biology of morality is the study of how biological factors, such as genetics and brain function, influence moral decision-making and behavior. It seeks to understand the evolutionary origins of morality and how it is expressed in different species, including humans.

2. How does biology influence moral behavior?

Biology can influence moral behavior in several ways. For example, certain genes may predispose individuals to behave in a more altruistic or cooperative manner. Additionally, brain regions involved in emotion and empathy can play a role in moral decision-making.

3. Is morality purely biological or is it also influenced by external factors?

Morality is influenced by both biological and external factors. While biology may provide a foundation for moral behavior, cultural norms, socialization, and personal experiences also play a significant role in shaping an individual's moral code.

4. Are there universal moral principles that are biologically determined?

There is ongoing debate about whether there are universal moral principles that are biologically determined. Some argue that certain moral values, such as fairness and empathy, are universal and evolved traits. Others argue that morality is largely shaped by cultural and societal influences.

5. Can understanding the biology of morality help us make better moral decisions?

Studying the biology of morality can provide insight into the underlying mechanisms of moral decision-making. This understanding can potentially help individuals and societies make more informed and ethical choices. However, it is important to recognize that morality is complex and cannot be solely explained by biology.

Back