Are Hawks Becoming the New Urban Predators in Rio?

• Thread starter Rach3
  • Start date
In summary, residents of Rio de Janeiro's upscale Ipanema beach district have been under attack by a pair of hawks for over a year, with more than 100 people being scratched on their heads and faces. People have started carrying umbrellas for protection and mistaking the attacks for thrown objects or stray bullets. One woman even lost part of her scalp to a hawk. The attacks have caused concern among residents and doormen, with some believing that the hawks have gone berserk. Similar hawk sightings have also been reported in other areas, causing fear among the locals.
Rach3
:eek:

Hawks attack more than 100 people in Rio

RIO DE JANEIRO, Brazil - Residents of crime-plagued Rio de Janeiro have a new kind of predator to worry about — hawks. A pair of hawks have attacked more than 100 residents of the upscale Ipanema beach district over the past year, scratching peoples heads and faces, doormen working at buildings in the area said Monday.

"People leave the building carrying umbrellas to protect themselves from the attacks," said Luis Honorato, a doorman in a building near where the hawks have built a nest. "At first, they think that someone is throwing something, like a can, onto their heads from the floors above."
The O Globo newspaper reported that one woman lost part of her scalp to a hawk and another man mistook an attack for a stray bullet.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060918/ap_on_fe_st/brazil_hawk_attacks [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
http://6ix4our.com/media/gonzo.jpg [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
I was looking out the kitchen window yesterday when a hawk or large owl took off from behind some trees on the left side of the property and flew quickly up into the trees on the right side. By the time I got out there it was gone. I think it may have had a rabbit (of which we have a lot these days).

It was most likely a red-tailed hawk (plenty in the area) or a great-horned owl. It move so fast I didn't get a good look at the head, but wing movement was more like an owl. I was also trying to see what it was carrying.

We have LOTS of hawks around here, so I hope only the Brazilian ones have gone berzerk. They are very large, powerful birds.

As per Hitchcock: This is just the beginning.

1. What are hawks?

Hawks are birds of prey that belong to the family Accipitridae. They are known for their sharp talons and hooked beaks, which they use to hunt and feed on small animals.

2. How do hawks adapt to urban environments?

Hawks are adaptable birds and have been known to thrive in urban environments. They have adjusted their hunting strategies to include urban prey, such as rodents and pigeons. They have also learned to perch and nest on man-made structures, such as buildings and bridges.

3. Are hawks becoming the new urban predators in Rio?

It is possible that hawks are becoming more prevalent in urban areas, including Rio, due to the increase in urbanization and the availability of prey. However, further research is needed to confirm this trend.

4. Are hawks dangerous to humans?

Hawks are not typically dangerous to humans and will not attack unless provoked or defending their territory. However, it is important to give hawks their space and not attempt to feed or handle them, as they are still wild animals.

5. How can we coexist with hawks in urban environments?

To coexist with hawks in urban environments, it is important to respect their natural behaviors and not interfere with their hunting or nesting activities. Avoid feeding them and keep trash and other food sources secure to discourage them from scavenging in urban areas. If you encounter a hawk, give it space and observe from a safe distance.

Back