1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The BKE

1. Jul 24, 2005 #1
    For any of you advanced dynamics people, can you please show me a derivation of the BKE. (Basic Kinematic Equation)

The BKE is.....

e d/dt(Vector) = u d/dt(Vector) + omega between e and u X (Vector)

sometimes an additional term is added which is the linear velocity between the frames but for some simplicity lets assume this is zero.

e is the inertial frame
    and u is the working frame

omega is the angular velocity
    X is the cross product operator

I know just by looking at a simple single rotation problem, the solution is trivial but does anyone know of a formal proof?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 24, 2005 #2

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

I do, but I think it will take me a month of Sundays to write here. Let me see if I can scan in my old dynamics notes from school. Give me a bit!

4. Jul 24, 2005 #3
    Thanks, take your time, I'm in no rush!

5. Jul 24, 2005 #4

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

Here we go. I had to scan it in from my Dynamics class notes. The pdf is a bit rough on the quality side. If you can't read it, let me know and I'll e-mail you the scan.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2006
  6. Jul 25, 2005 #5
    thanks alot! This works perfectly. I actually found a more geometrical way to prove it with the few extra hours i had to spare today. Unfortunately, I don't have a scanner to show anyone to ensure correctness. Perhaps when I get back to school I can scan it in and have someone verify that my method is correct. Thanks again!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?