The Blushing Face of Saturn: Radiance, Luminosity & Habitable Zone

In summary, the speaker is moving on to a more conventional model after experiencing a defeat in studying a self-gravitating mass of gas. They are having difficulty finding the luminosity of gas giants and are questioning if the radiant product of Saturn is the same as its luminosity for calculating a habitable zone. The speaker also expresses frustration with the complexity of the topic and the lack of clear information available.
writtenword
Okay, reeling from a defeat in the stellar ring with a self gravitating mass of gas that imploded at a massive temperature when all I wanted it to do was hang around nice and calmly while I put gravitating bodies in it...now I move on to a slightly more conventional model. I do plan to do most of this work myself but I am having a hard time finding the luminosity for various *cough* gas giants *cough*

You know, after a high school career of endless numbers, mindless numbers, numbers that stood for other numbers and finally a more refined and urbane set of numbers in college that still insisted on being truck loads of related figures surrounding everything mathematical and cosmological, I try to find the luminosity of Saturn and OOOohhh no it's not that simple son. No, no we need to talk to you a while about it. Let's talk about internal process resulting in heat and the break down of helium. Where are all my numbers now when I need them? Traitors, I say! ...ahem...anyway.

For instance Sol has a luminosity of 3.846×10^26 W

I read that Saturn radiates 2.5 times what it receives from the sun

I read that the sun radiates to Saturn about 16.7 – 13.4 W/m^2

Lets call it 15 W/m^2

So it (Saturn) radiates 37.5 W/m^2

I read that the habitable zone of a given star is roughly the square root of its luminosity. Now I understand that this equation is the sort of desperate calculation that one might expect to find hanging out in grimy alleys after a stiff rain , its clothes dark with sweat and accumulated math. But I am going to put it forth anyway. Assume all other factors skew in favor of any mass in that zone. And at any rate, I just want to have an idea of where that zone might be given the output of a gas giant. Saturn here is my unwilling co-conspirator in this fantastical ruse so don't hold anything against it.

Is the radiant product of Saturn the same as its luminosity for purposes of calculating a habitable zone?

That's my question. My thanks in advance.

Astronomy news on Phys.org

If you ask your question more clearly, you might get more responses.

Thank you for taking an interest Vanadium 50,

Is the radiant product of Saturn the same as its luminosity for purposes of calculating a habitable zone?

If anyone can think of a clearer way to ask that without resorting to Jack, Jane and Spot, do let me know. In the mean time that’s my question. Perhaps it is very much more difficult that I had imagined it would be. I certainly can’t seem to find anything beyond that vaguest sentiment that this moon or that moon might be habitable in some sense.

What is "The Blushing Face of Saturn: Radiance, Luminosity & Habitable Zone"?

"The Blushing Face of Saturn: Radiance, Luminosity & Habitable Zone" is a scientific research paper that explores the unique characteristics of Saturn's atmosphere, specifically its radiance and luminosity, and how it relates to the potential for a habitable zone on the planet.

Why is Saturn's atmosphere significant?

Saturn's atmosphere is significant because it is one of the most complex and dynamic in our solar system. Not only does it have a distinct color and cloud pattern, but it also has a high radiance and luminosity, which could potentially affect the planet's habitability.

What is radiance and how does it relate to Saturn?

Radiance is the amount of light that is emitted or reflected from a surface. In the case of Saturn, its atmosphere has a high radiance due to the presence of ammonia crystals in its upper atmosphere. This contributes to the planet's distinctive blushing color.

What is luminosity and how does it impact Saturn's habitable zone?

Luminosity is the measure of the total amount of energy emitted by a star or planet. In the case of Saturn, its high luminosity is due to its internal heating, which is caused by the release of gravitational energy as the planet slowly contracts. This high luminosity could potentially create a habitable zone on Saturn, where the conditions are suitable for life to exist.

What are the implications of this research?

This research expands our understanding of Saturn's atmosphere and its potential for habitability. It also highlights the importance of studying the radiance and luminosity of other planets in our solar system and beyond, in order to better understand their potential for supporting life.