Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The blushing face of Saturn - Radiance and Luminosity and where to build the house

1. Dec 4, 2011 #1
    Okay, reeling from a defeat in the stellar ring with a self gravitating mass of gas that imploded at a massive temperature when all I wanted it to do was hang around nice and calmly while I put gravitating bodies in it...now I move on to a slightly more conventional model. I do plan to do most of this work myself but I am having a hard time finding the luminosity for various *cough* gas giants *cough*

You know, after a high school career of endless numbers, mindless numbers, numbers that stood for other numbers and finally a more refined and urbane set of numbers in college that still insisted on being truck loads of related figures surrounding everything mathematical and cosmological, I try to find the luminosity of Saturn and OOOohhh no it's not that simple son. No, no we need to talk to you a while about it. Lets talk about internal process resulting in heat and the break down of helium. Where are all my numbers now when I need them? Traitors, I say! ...ahem...anyway.

For instance Sol has a luminosity of 3.846×10^26 W

I read that Saturn radiates 2.5 times what it receives from the sun

I read that the sun radiates to Saturn about 16.7 – 13.4 W/m^2

Lets call it 15 W/m^2

So it (Saturn) radiates 37.5 W/m^2

I read that the habitable zone of a given star is roughly the square root of its luminosity. Now I understand that this equation is the sort of desperate calculation that one might expect to find hanging out in grimy alleys after a stiff rain , its clothes dark with sweat and accumulated math. But I am going to put it forth anyway. Assume all other factors skew in favor of any mass in that zone. And at any rate, I just want to have an idea of where that zone might be given the output of a gas giant. Saturn here is my unwilling co-conspirator in this fantastical ruse so don't hold anything against it.

Is the radiant product of Saturn the same as its luminosity for purposes of calculating a habitable zone?

That's my question. My thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 4, 2011 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Re: The blushing face of Saturn - Radiance and Luminosity and where to build the hous

If you ask your question more clearly, you might get more responses.

4. Dec 5, 2011 #3
    Re: The blushing face of Saturn - Radiance and Luminosity and where to build the hous

Thank you for taking an interest Vanadium 50,

Is the radiant product of Saturn the same as its luminosity for purposes of calculating a habitable zone?

If anyone can think of a clearer way to ask that without resorting to Jack, Jane and Spot, do let me know. In the mean time that’s my question. Perhaps it is very much more difficult that I had imagined it would be. I certainly can’t seem to find anything beyond that vaguest sentiment that this moon or that moon might be habitable in some sense.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook