1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The Bohr model of the H atom for anyone who needs it

1. Apr 17, 2005 #1
    hey everyone! good morning!

i just took like 15 minutes drawing this to ask a question, but the funny thing is that my question got answered as i was about to post this! :biggrin: :biggrin: so i'm leaving this up for anyone who wanted to look at it!

Take care and enjoy! :cool:

Note about the attachment: Jumps a to c are in the ultraviolet portion of the spectrum, d and e are in the visible range, and f is in the infrared region.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. May 13, 2005 #2
    I am sorry to bring this up but may I ask if you could tell me how to calculate those energy values as shown in your picture. I am still in my K12 and really don't know how to do, can you help me ?

If I am not mistaken (to the most), I can only calculate 1/9, the other 8/9 is out of my ability, but I am sure I can sit all day only to observe the values of which I am completely jealous since none of the solutions comes to my mind...Could you kill away my jealousy ? -lol- I am thankful for your help if offered...

4. May 13, 2005 #3
    My educated guess would be that it is the difference in energy due to the EM force keeping the electron in orbit. That force is

[tex] F = \frac{kq_1q_2}{r^2} [/tex]

q are the two charges (proton, electron), r is the radius of separation which is given in hte diagram. k = 9x10e9

5. May 13, 2005 #4
    Thank you whozum so much,

6. May 14, 2005 #5

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Not quite.

The energies in the Bohr Model are the sum of elerctrostatic potential and kinetic energies.

http://www.walter-fendt.de/ph11e/bohrmath_e.htm

7. May 14, 2005 #6
    I was close!! I thought of that also.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?