Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The Bohr model of the H atom for anyone who needs it

1. Apr 17, 2005 #1
    hey everyone! good morning!

i just took like 15 minutes drawing this to ask a question, but the funny thing is that my question got answered as i was about to post this! :biggrin: :biggrin: so i'm leaving this up for anyone who wanted to look at it!

Take care and enjoy! :cool:

Note about the attachment: Jumps a to c are in the ultraviolet portion of the spectrum, d and e are in the visible range, and f is in the infrared region.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. May 13, 2005 #2
    I am sorry to bring this up but may I ask if you could tell me how to calculate those energy values as shown in your picture. I am still in my K12 and really don't know how to do, can you help me ?

If I am not mistaken (to the most), I can only calculate 1/9, the other 8/9 is out of my ability, but I am sure I can sit all day only to observe the values of which I am completely jealous since none of the solutions comes to my mind...Could you kill away my jealousy ? -lol- I am thankful for your help if offered...

4. May 13, 2005 #3
    My educated guess would be that it is the difference in energy due to the EM force keeping the electron in orbit. That force is

[tex] F = \frac{kq_1q_2}{r^2} [/tex]

q are the two charges (proton, electron), r is the radius of separation which is given in hte diagram. k = 9x10e9

5. May 13, 2005 #4
    Thank you whozum so much,

6. May 14, 2005 #5

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Not quite.

The energies in the Bohr Model are the sum of elerctrostatic potential and kinetic energies.

http://www.walter-fendt.de/ph11e/bohrmath_e.htm

7. May 14, 2005 #6
    I was close!! I thought of that also.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?