The Book of Nothing: Reader's Opinion?

• Thread starter Morgan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Book
In summary, "The Book of Nothing" is a comprehensive history of the concept of a complete vacuum, tracing its evolution over the past 2 thousand years. It also delves into modern physics and how it has shed light on the subject, including the theory of general relativity and its implications for the existence of a vacuum. The book also touches on the concept of zero, but this may be of more interest to those with a passion for the history of mathematics. Overall, the sections on vacuums are the main highlight of this book.
Morgan
i just got the book of nothing and i began reading it.. I am only about 10 pages into it but so far it is good! has anyone read it that has opinion on it that they would like to share?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's a good history of how the concept of a complete vacuum has evolved over the past 2 thousand years. This includes sections on how findings of modern physics have shed light on the subject. For example, the theory of general relativity seems deny the possibility of a vacuum existing. But the same theory can consistently describe universes which contain no matter at all. An explanation of how this can be is one example of the topics covered in this book.

Actually, there is more to the book than that. Several sections also cover the concept of zero, and how it has evolved over the years. Quite honestly, I didn't find this to be of much interest. Someone with a greater interest in the history of mathematics might enjoy those sections more, but I mainly find the sections on vacuums to be the reason to get this book.

I have read The Book of Nothing and I highly recommend it. It is a thought-provoking and insightful exploration of the concept of nothingness and its role in our lives. The author presents a unique perspective on the subject and challenges readers to reconsider their understanding of nothing. The writing is engaging and the examples used are relatable, making it an enjoyable read. I think anyone interested in philosophy or self-reflection would find this book valuable. I look forward to hearing your thoughts on it as you continue reading.

1. What is "The Book of Nothing" about?

"The Book of Nothing" is a philosophical and scientific exploration of the concept of nothingness. It delves into various disciplines such as mathematics, physics, and philosophy to discuss the role and implications of nothingness in our understanding of the universe.

2. Who is the author of "The Book of Nothing"?

The author of "The Book of Nothing" is John D. Barrow, a British cosmologist and theoretical physicist. He is also a Professor of Mathematical Sciences at the University of Cambridge and a Fellow of the Royal Society.

3. Is "The Book of Nothing" a difficult read for non-scientists?

The book does contain complex scientific concepts, but it is written in a clear and accessible manner. It can be enjoyed by both scientists and non-scientists, as long as the reader is willing to engage with the ideas presented.

4. How does "The Book of Nothing" contribute to our understanding of the universe?

By exploring the concept of nothingness, the book sheds light on the fundamental nature of the universe and its origins. It also challenges our traditional notions of reality and invites readers to think critically about the role of nothingness in our perception of the world.

5. Are there any other books similar to "The Book of Nothing"?

Yes, there are several other books that also delve into the concept of nothingness, such as "The Nothing that Is: A Natural History of Zero" by Robert Kaplan and "The Book of Nothing: Vacuums, Voids, and the Latest Ideas about the Origins of the Universe" by John Gribbin. However, "The Book of Nothing" is uniquely comprehensive in its examination of nothingness across various fields of study.