My Brain-Wiring Test Score: 90

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Test
In summary: Hand gestures help a lot.You know you're getting close when the road kind of narrows down into two lanes, then when you get to the split you want the road that head off, oh ... about a 120 degrees to the left, then up this big hill ...In summary, the test is a measure of autistic-gayness spectrum and it has something to do with a theoretical autistic-gayness spectrum. The test-taker scored a 50 and is in the middle of the spectrum. If they get bored with the test, they can score a 120 for being a man or a -15 for being a woman.
Well that was stupid. Most of the questions are entirely dependant on the specifics of a situation, rather than anything to do with your brain...

Eg: something of a friend's is broken, do you (a) fix it (b) recommend someone who can (c) sympathise?

I would have personally thought that would have depended entirely on whether I know how to fix it or not, or failing that whether I know anyone who can. Failing that, where's the unsympathetic 'oh well, tough luck' option?

Physics news on Phys.org
Math Is Hard said:
Please consider the source for this test (which the author provides):

and know that not everyone agrees with these ideas.

I picked up this book at an airport before a trip, read it, and threw it away afterwards. The authors heavily cherry pick from studies that support their ideas, and naturally, ignore the ones that don't. There's quite a bit from them about how girls can succeed in arithmetic, but not higher math, so be careful when you evaluate the opinions of this couple who are making a nice living off this book.

Also note that these people tout themselves as "Australia's most successful publishing team":
http://www.peaseinternational.com/
but that's about it. I cannot find further credentials for them in psychology or other disciplines. They are motivational speakers.

"Frequently hilarious" has something to be said for itself. And I imagine that if a reader takes the book a little too seriously, they might find themselves in some "hilarious" situations.

Personally, I was more captivated by the "Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought" section. "Why Men Love Bitches" looks like a good book. It even has some great reviews:

This book is fantastic! I was always too nice and then wondered what i did wrong - now I know and now I'm going to become a "*****". The advice is practical and makes sense and the book is very easy to follow.

I was put off buying this book fo ages, as I wasn't sure I wanted to learn how to be a '*****'!. But Sherry is not using the word '*****' in the traditional way- she uses it as term to mean ' a women with self-respect'.

You know, when you're totally clueless about the opposite sex, maybe "frequently hilarious" is the best a person can hope for.

russ_watters said:
Some of the questions are wrong, like the one about where you would sit in a movie theater. Everyone knows that there is a correct place to sit and it isn't right or left, it is in the center. Others asked about remembering names and faces, but the answers never had the way my brain works: I remember faces, but not names.

Anyway, I scored 75.

I agree. I don't sit to the right or left either, but that doesn't mean I don't care where I sit. I want to sit in the middle, and far enough up to be lined up with the center of the screen vertically too. I think the question might be rather outdated, from the days when the aisle ran down the center of the theater, and sitting in the middle still required choosing the right or left side. I never cared, I just looked for the seat that didn't have a tall guy with broad shoulders in front of it. :rolleyes:

And, yeah, me too, I remember faces, but struggle to remember names. I see people I know I've met, heck some I know are students of mine, either past or present, but I cannot recall their names now or which year I taught them. :rolleyes:

As for giving directions, I can either draw maps or give directions based on landmarks or road names. I can follow any type of directions too (as long as they're accurate...always love when they say, "Turn right on Jones St." and you get there and there is only a left turn option, or no posted road sign to find the street. :rolleyes:). I usually give whatever kind of directions someone prefers. If they know the area, I don't usually have to give turn-by-turn instructions, just things like, "When you get to the Dairy Mart, turn right and it's the first driveway..." Then you get people like my mom, who gets confused if I don't write down verbatim everything that will be on the sign on the interstate exit. I gave her the exit number, and two of the three things on the sign (the third one wasn't relevant, you never actually get onto the road it is advertising). But, she complained she nearly missed the turn because I didn't tell her that road would be on the sign too. :rolleyes: This is why I keep trying to offer that I just meet her at the nearest rest stop on the interstate and get her to follow me from there...sometimes no form of directions helps. :uhh: I had even given her a turn-by-turn map color-coded to match the written directions...I don't think there are many more ways than that to give directions other than, "Tell me the name of the place you're calling me from and I'll come get you." :rolleyes: (Yes, I roll my eyes at my mom quite often.)

I got a 45. I have nothing more to say.

Moonbear said:
I agree. I don't sit to the right or left either, but that doesn't mean I don't care where I sit. I want to sit in the middle, and far enough up to be lined up with the center of the screen vertically too. I think the question might be rather outdated, from the days when the aisle ran down the center of the theater, and sitting in the middle still required choosing the right or left side. I never cared, I just looked for the seat that didn't have a tall guy with broad shoulders in front of it. :rolleyes:

And, yeah, me too, I remember faces, but struggle to remember names. I see people I know I've met, heck some I know are students of mine, either past or present, but I cannot recall their names now or which year I taught them. :rolleyes:

As for giving directions, I can either draw maps or give directions based on landmarks or road names. I can follow any type of directions too (as long as they're accurate...always love when they say, "Turn right on Jones St." and you get there and there is only a left turn option, or no posted road sign to find the street. :rolleyes:). I usually give whatever kind of directions someone prefers. If they know the area, I don't usually have to give turn-by-turn instructions, just things like, "When you get to the Dairy Mart, turn right and it's the first driveway..." Then you get people like my mom, who gets confused if I don't write down verbatim everything that will be on the sign on the interstate exit. I gave her the exit number, and two of the three things on the sign (the third one wasn't relevant, you never actually get onto the road it is advertising). But, she complained she nearly missed the turn because I didn't tell her that road would be on the sign too. :rolleyes: This is why I keep trying to offer that I just meet her at the nearest rest stop on the interstate and get her to follow me from there...sometimes no form of directions helps. :uhh: I had even given her a turn-by-turn map color-coded to match the written directions...I don't think there are many more ways than that to give directions other than, "Tell me the name of the place you're calling me from and I'll come get you." :rolleyes: (Yes, I roll my eyes at my mom quite often.)

Oh boy, sat nav is so not so mind boggling.

With the exception of the 'mother' part, my situation is about the same as Moonbear's.
My score might have been a bit different if I'd known that you could leave some blank, as was indicated in the explanation at the end. Anyhow, I got 150 and I'm definitely straight.

105 =)