The Brazil Nut Effect: Explained!

• Thread starter billy_boy_999
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Brazil
In summary: The smaller particles go down because they have more surface area than the larger particles. The larger particles stay on top because they have more mass.
billy_boy_999
why do the big brazil nuts always end up at the top of the bag? or when you put a rubber ball at the bottom of a bowl of rice and shake the bowl from side to side why does the rubber ball always come to the top? what is the explanation? I'm going crazy!

Physics news on Phys.org
Density. Denser materials will go to the bottom, lighter materials will go to the top.

The big brazil nuts contain more air and are lighter. The rubber ball is lighter than the rice.

You are seeing what used to be called "percolation" --- stones coming to the surface in plowed fields, shells from WW I in Flanders, big flakes to the top in cereal boxes and crumbs on bottom. Haven't found the right combination of key words to give you any links, sorry. Density, particle size ratios, surface to mass ratios, shapes (affects packing) all contribute to which particle moves what direction in a matrix of some other particles. Mixtures of unlike solid particulates (cake mix, raisin bran, Lucky Charms) have been subjects of intense study regarding particle surface treatments, sizes, shapes, and mixing times necessary to produce a "homogeneous" (on some specified sample size within some larger batch size) mixture that does not separate or unmix.

You can float steel balls on sand, you can sink ping pong balls in dense media (don't ask me for the trick on this one right now), and you can get wildly different density, or sized, particles to refuse to unmix.

This was a question on who wants to be a millionaire the other day. I had never heard of it until then. Quite the "nutty" name!

The field that covers that kind of thing is known as granular physics. Googling it ought to bring up a number of sites that talk about it.

It's a growing area, with a lot of really interesting phenomena that people haven't quite figured out yet and covers a pretty wide range of things.

thank you guys...

the density seems a simple satisfying explanation for the brazil nuts and for the ping pong ball...but is the steel ball lighter than the same volume of sand? the shells lighter than the soil? now i am going crazy...i will try googling on granular physics, thank you...

billy_boy_999 said:
thank you guys...

the density seems a simple satisfying explanation for the brazil nuts and for the ping pong ball...but is the steel ball lighter than the same volume of sand? the shells lighter than the soil? now i am going crazy...i will try googling on granular physics, thank you...
Density is not the answer. Percolation is. Think of it this way: if you have a bunch of billiards balls in a big container and pour sand on them, and shake, what happens? The sand, being smaller, finds empty spaces and works its way to the bottom of the container. Repeat with BB's and the same thing happens. Repeat with marbles and the same thing happens. As it turns out, it doesn't take much difference in particle size for the small particles to settle to the bottom and the big ones to percolate to the top.

This is used to great effect in coffee percolators. The coffee is placed in a compartment above the water. The water is boiled and the vapour will travel to the top and condence back to a liquid. This liquid runs though the coffee back to the bottom taking with it any disolvable coffee particles. This happens again and again to made a lovely fresh cup of steaming hot coffee! ...but i use instant...

Russ explained it well but i thought id give you an everyday use...

This effect was proven on Scientific American Frotiers on PBS or the National Geographic channel depending on where you live: density is not the answer by percolation, the smaller particles fall through the bottom, and the larger ones stay on top or are displaced, as russ said. Also, another strange effect occurs, I don't know if its the same effect.

Imagine a cross section, about 9/13 of the diagram (in the middle) is the section where smaller particles go down, and 2/13, 1/13 one each side, have particles going up. Why does this happen?

1. What is the Brazil Nut Effect?

The Brazil Nut Effect, also known as the granular convection effect, refers to the phenomenon where larger particles rise to the top of a mixture of different sized particles when shaken or stirred. This is commonly observed in mixed nuts, where the larger Brazil nuts tend to rise to the top of the container.

2. What causes the Brazil Nut Effect?

The Brazil Nut Effect occurs due to a combination of factors, including differences in particle size and density. When a mixture is shaken or stirred, the smaller particles tend to fall into the spaces between the larger particles, causing them to rise to the top.

3. Why is the Brazil Nut Effect important?

The Brazil Nut Effect has important implications in various industries, including pharmaceuticals, food processing, and mining. It can also help scientists better understand granular materials and their behavior under different conditions.

4. Can the Brazil Nut Effect be reversed?

Yes, the Brazil Nut Effect can be reversed by changing the direction of the shaking or stirring motion. This causes the smaller particles to rise to the top while the larger particles fall to the bottom.

5. Is the Brazil Nut Effect the same as the Mpemba Effect?

No, the Brazil Nut Effect and the Mpemba Effect are two different phenomena. The Mpemba Effect refers to the observation that hot water freezes faster than cold water under certain conditions, while the Brazil Nut Effect is specific to the behavior of granular materials.