Camper's Displacement: 235.77m

• Thread starter maxtheminawes
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Travel
The result would be a positive number.In summary, the camper traveled 80m at 30°, then 110m at 160°, and finally 42m at 195°. Using the formula for displacement, the camper's total displacement was 235.77m in the direction of 48.16°. The square root of a negative number will result in a positive number when squared.
maxtheminawes

Homework Statement

T camper went 80m in the direction of 30°. He then turned and traveled 110m in the direction of 160°. Finally, the camper walked 42m at 195°. What was the camper's displacemnt

Homework Equations

sqrt{Rx^2+Ry^2}

The Attempt at a Solution

Rx
80cos30
110cos160
190cos45
Rx=110.83

Ry
80sin30
110sin160
195sin42
Ry=210.10

(sq. root of (110.83^2+208.1^2))=235.77m

Physics news on Phys.org
You have the right method. But You've got the third section of his travel wrong. It was 42m at 195 degrees, but you've used something different in your answer.

thnxs i didn't realize that i made a mistake. i thought i was doing something wrong.

How do you do the square root of a negative? I'm assuming you just make it positive but I'm not sure.

why do you want to square root a negative number? That shouldn't happen in this question.

Do you mean what is a negative number squared?

What is Camper's Displacement?

Camper's Displacement refers to the distance that a camper has traveled during a camping trip. It is usually measured in meters or kilometers.

How is Camper's Displacement calculated?

Camper's Displacement is calculated by measuring the distance traveled by the camper from their starting point to their end point. This can be done using a GPS device or by using a map and measuring the distance between the two points.

Why is Camper's Displacement important?

Camper's Displacement is important because it can help campers keep track of how far they have traveled during their trip. It can also help them plan their route and estimate the time it will take to reach their destination.

What factors can affect Camper's Displacement?

There are several factors that can affect Camper's Displacement, such as the terrain, weather conditions, and the pace of the camper. For example, traveling uphill or through rough terrain will result in a longer displacement compared to traveling on flat ground.

How accurate is Camper's Displacement measurement?

The accuracy of Camper's Displacement measurement depends on the method used to calculate it. Using a GPS device will provide a more precise measurement compared to using a map and estimating the distance. However, factors such as signal interference and device error can also affect the accuracy of the measurement.