1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The Carnot Icemaker

1. May 9, 2008 #1
    An ice-making machine inside a refrigerator operates in a Carnot cycle. It takes heat from liquid water at 0.0 C and rejects heat to a room at a temperature of 22.2 C. Suppose that liquid water with a mass of 86.2 kg at 0.0 C is converted to ice at the same temperature. Take the heat of fusion for water to be L_f = 3.34×10^5 J/kg.

How much heat |Q_H| is rejected to the room?

Q_H = -W = nRT_H(lnV2/V1)

(V2/V1)^gamma-1 = T1/T2 = Tc/Th

2. jcsd
  3. May 9, 2008 #2

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

this part is not correct. The ejected heat into the room is more than the work done.
    This is not a required formula. Consider the Carnot efficiency formula

4. May 10, 2008 #3
    i figured out the Qh and got 3.113x10^7 J but now it wants to know how much Energy E must be supplied to the engine, in joules. I know that E_int= Q+W but says im wrong... any help?

5. May 10, 2008 #4

alphysicist

Homework Helper

Hi horsegirlf09,

There are three energy transfers to keep track of: Qc, which is the heat removed from the cold reservoir or system; Qh, which is the heat expelled into the hot reservoir; and W, which is the work done by the engine. How are these three related?

6. Feb 13, 2009 #5
    An ice-making machine inside a refrigerator operates in a Carnot cycle. It takes heat from liquid water at 0.0 degrees Celsius and rejects heat to a room at a temperature of 26.0 degrees Celsius. Suppose that the liquid water with a mass of 70.0 kg at 0.0 degrees Celsius is converted to ice at the same temperature. Take the heat of fusion for water to be L_f = 3.34x10^5 J/kg. How much heat |Q_H| is rejected to the room? Express your answer in joules to four significant figures.

I get this information to some site that i get research in google search....

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?