News The Case for Terrorism Futures

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
"Legislators like Sen. Ron Wyden (D-Ore.) may have found the Pentagon's Policy Analysis Market, or PAM, "grotesque." But proponents of "idea markets" say PAM's quicksilver cancellation will rob the country's intelligence agencies of a tool with a strong history of accurately predicting future events."

http://www.wired.com/news/politics/0,1283,59818,00.html [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:

Zero

OK, but at the same time, wouldn't investors have a cause to ENCOURAGE terrorism and the like?

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Originally posted by Zero
OK, but at the same time, wouldn't investors have a cause to ENCOURAGE terrorism and the like?
To me this idea just stinks; but there is some logic to it. Still, you make a good point. It could end up contributing to the problem.

Zero

Originally posted by Ivan Seeking
To me this idea just stinks; but there is some logic to it. Still, you make a good point. It could end up contributing to the problem.
Especially since(I think I read this), foreign investors will participate, possibly including the very individuals who finance terror, like George H.W. Bush's saudi business partners.

russ_watters

Mentor
It didn't appear to me that the market would use real money. The examples they gave such as the Hollywood Stock Exchange do NOT use real money. Its all just an intellectual exercise.

That said, its still a pretty bizarre idea.