Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The Cat Whisperer

1. Dec 29, 2006 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Just kidding, but in that light, maybe someone can make sense of this one. We have a very healthy 16 year old male, and two ~two year old females. All are indoor-outdoor cats, and the girls seem to either compete for the house or the male's affections, or they just don't like each other...:confused: But all in all everyone has a place in the house, and less the occasional spat, there is peace and play, and everyone does sleep and eat in the house.

For some reason, the one female, Bun III, only wants attention from me if we're in my office [some 300 feet from the house]. If I'm up in the house, she barely even acknowledges my presense, but in my office she won't leave me alone. She has these big ole dad attacks, as we call them, where I just can't give her enough attention, but only in the office. She defnitely loves to hang out in my office, and it was inteneded that she would be my new office buddy when our beloved Bun II passed on, but I don't see how she could possibly understand this.

My theory is that she sees the office as her place, and she gets excited when I come to visit. :uhh: :biggrin:

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 29, 2006 #2

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ivan, are you having an affair with a cat? :surprised Maybe Bun III doesn't want to be caught cheating either. :wink:

4. Dec 29, 2006 #3

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

For all I know, in her eyes we are...? :biggrin:

I know our persian always wanted to do me!!!

5. Dec 29, 2006 #4

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, she likes to hang out in the office, but needs a people there to ensure she continues to get things like food and water and have the heat or A/C adjusted appropriately, so she's working on a positive reinforcement program to ensure you keep coming back. :uhh: :biggrin:

Does she follow you back to the house from the office, or stay there when you aren't there too? Is she ever in the house with you the same times of day as when these "dad attacks" happen in your office? It could just be that her playtime happens to coincide with your office time. I've noticed that Ember has very regular patterns of play time and sleep time and don't bother me time.

Also, when you're in the house, maybe that's more the "territory" of one of the other cats, so she's more cautious and on the lookout for trouble while there, so less likely to play as freely?

Or...does she get wound up by a particular toy that lives in the office? Ember has definite favorites (the lures with big feathers on them is the current favorite that she can't get enough of...she'll chase that around running and jumping for hours, panting away the whole time from the amount of exercise, if I had the stamina to keep holding it for her that long (and she'll keep playing with it if I wedge the handle in a sofa cushion so it dangles for her).

Or, lastly, maybe that's just where you started playing with her most consistently while she was a kitten, so she's associated that place as the place for play...especially if she was more occupied defending herself from the other cats when in the house initially.

6. Dec 29, 2006 #5

Lisa!

Gold Member

Well perhaps Tsu's asked her to keep an open eye on you while you're away from home! :wink:

7. Dec 29, 2006 #6

DaveC426913

Gold Member

My money's on this one.

Cats sharing space will rapidly establish both a hierarchy and territory.

8. Dec 29, 2006 #7
    The differance between a Dog and a Cat.
    A dog thinks they feed me they take care of me they love me they must be God.
    A cat thinks they feed me they take care of me they love me I must be a God.

9. Dec 29, 2006 #8

Evo

Staff: Mentor

That reminded me of a post by Russ.

10. Dec 29, 2006 #9
    Haha!
    Sorry if this isn't related to anything, but we have a male cat. But why in the world is he peeing all over the place.
    Walls, sofas, cushions, carpets, beds?

11. Dec 29, 2006 #10

Evo

If it's really foul smelling, he's not peeing, he's spraying (marking his territory). Having him neutered should stop it.

12. Dec 29, 2006 #11
    That's cruel.

13. Dec 29, 2006 #12
    It's kinda funny that your name is apples and you think it's cruel....grapes would be better though.:eek:

14. Dec 29, 2006 #13

Evo

Neutering's not cruel.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2006
  15. Dec 29, 2006 #14
    Yeah. If anything, it helps the cats. Think of all the poor kittens out there that starve to death or get run over because they don't have a home.
    :cry:

"Remember, have your cats spayed or neutered!"

16. Dec 29, 2006 #15

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Neutering also helps prevent them from wandering and getting into fights. Cats that wander are more at risk for getting hit by cars, and cats that fight are more at risk for dangerous (and expensive to treat) injuries and complications like abcesses. To not neuter or spay a pet is cruel and irresponsible.

17. Dec 29, 2006 #16

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ivan, I agree with Hurkyl. I think Bun has the idea that you two are "shacked up" in the office and no one knows of your secret love. She has to play it cool in the house so the others don't catch on. :wink:

Could be that there are just lots of distractions in the house, but in the office there's only you.

18. Dec 29, 2006 #17

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

When we first got her I did used to keep food down here, but we were afraid that she would never go up to the house so I stopped that almost right away.

She does come down when I'm not here, but she follows me up to the house when I leave, and she does sleep up there. More than not she stays where I am unless she's out hunting the fields or sleeping under a bush.

This is what I tend to think. I suspect that the house is Zoobies place. Zoobie gets very aggressive with her, but we thought this was because Bun is always sneak attacking. We think that Bun wants to play but Zoobie doesn't - that Bun is just too wild. Zoobie is a little princess, and Bun is hell on wheels.

Nope, no toys in the office less the dead bodies that she drags in from time to time.

No play, but I did start bringing her down to hang out until she figured out how to get here, and how to get in.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2006
  19. Dec 29, 2006 #18

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Always the romantic. :!!)

In this house she hides somewhere and goes to sleep. It does seem like she is always worried about Zoobie though...even if Zoobie is nowhere to be found.

20. Dec 30, 2006 #19

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Take full responsibility for your pet. Half-reponsibility is what is cruel.

Get it neutered.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?