The Catch 22 of Newton's 3rd Law

• Thread starter pattiecake
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Law
In summary: This pushes the horse into the wagon, and this in turn causes the wagon to push against the ground. This causes a new force to act on the wagon, which is the sum of the original force from the horse and the new force from the ground. The net force on the wagon is the sum of these two forces, and it is the same as the original force from the horse.
pattiecake
I'm long past the days of general physics, but a friend who's taking it now posed an interesting thought experiment, of which to my embarassment, I was unable to answer! He said, imagine a horse is urged to pull a wagon. The horse refuses to try, citing Newton's third law as his defense: "The pull of the horse on the wagon is equal but opposite to the pull of the wagon on the horse" If I can never exert a greater force on the wagon than it exerts on me, how can I ever start the wagon moving? asks the horse. How would you argue with the horse?

Stupid, I know...but it's driving me crazy! Anyone remember this stuff?

Physics news on Phys.org
Simple. The horse puts a force forward on the wagon, right? This causes the wagon to exert a force backward on a horse. This force pushes the horse into the ground, causing a net backward force on the earth, and a forward force from the ground to the horse. The force of the Earth on the horse and the wagon on the force cancel, leaving only a net force on the wagon and the earth.

Hi. I think you need to bear in mind two things: equal forces acting on bodies does not lead to equal acceleration; and a body accelerates when subject to unbalanced force. There is a Newton's 3rd law force pair between the horse and the wagon, and these are equal and antiparallel, true.

However, there are more forces acting on the horse. As well as being pulled by the wagon, it is also pushing against the ground, a normal reaction that, due to the inclination of the hooves against the ground, yields a force component parallel to the ground away from the wagon. The normal reaction on the wagon is due to its weight and this is pretty much verticle - i.e. negligible horizontal component.

You also have friction acting against the acceleration on both bodies. For the wagon, since it is supported by rotating axles, this is going to be comparitively low. For the horse, whatever the friction is is irrelevant, since it is the total force (normal + friction) that acts on the wagon - i.e. the force the horse exerts on the wagon, that is matched by the wagon itself, includes the horse's friction but NOT the wagon's. The force exerted on the horse by the wagon includes the wagon's friction, but this is lower. Overall, the force is balanced in the horse's favour.

pattiecake said:
The horse refuses to try, citing Newton's third law as his defense: "The pull of the horse on the wagon is equal but opposite to the pull of the wagon on the horse" If I can never exert a greater force on the wagon than it exerts on me, how can I ever start the wagon moving? asks the horse. How would you argue with the horse?
Realize that the two forces in Newton's 3rd law always act on different bodies! (In this example the horse and the wagon are the two bodies.) Equal and opposite forces only "cancel" and produce equilibrium if they act on the same body.

To find out how things will move, you need to consider all the forces acting on the body (as others have explained). For example, the horse is also being pushed forward by the ground.

What is Newton's 3rd Law?

Newton's 3rd Law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This means that when an object exerts a force on another object, the second object will exert an equal and opposite force back on the first object.

What is the catch 22 of Newton's 3rd Law?

The catch 22 of Newton's 3rd Law is that while the forces are equal and opposite, they may not always have the same effect. For example, if a person jumps off a boat, the person exerts a force on the boat, but the boat does not move because it is heavier and has more inertia.

Can Newton's 3rd Law be violated?

No, Newton's 3rd Law is a fundamental law of physics and cannot be violated. It has been tested and proven to be accurate in countless experiments.

How is Newton's 3rd Law applied in everyday life?

Newton's 3rd Law can be seen in everyday life in various situations. For example, when you walk, your feet push against the ground, and the ground pushes back on your feet, allowing you to move forward. It is also applied in sports, such as in the game of pool, where the cue ball exerts a force on the object ball, causing it to move.

What other laws of physics are related to Newton's 3rd Law?

Newton's 3rd Law is related to Newton's 1st and 2nd Laws of Motion. Newton's 1st Law states that an object will remain at rest or in motion with a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force. Newton's 2nd Law states that the force exerted on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration. These three laws work together to explain the motion of objects in our universe.