1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The Cauchy Integral Formula

1. Mar 28, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Use Cauchy's integral formula to evaluate 34t8wo3.png when
    a) C is the unit circle
    b) c is the circle mod(Z)=2

2. Relevant equations

I know the integral formula is 14mtco.png

3. The attempt at a solution
    for the unit circle I was attempting F(z)=sin(z) and Z0=∏/2, which would give a solution of 2∏i, however if this is the correct method I am unsure how to modify it for a larger unit circle as I thought the final result was independent of radius

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 28, 2012 #2

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The integral formula requires the point z0 to be contained inside of the curve gamma that you are integrating around. Draw some pictures and you should see the difference between the two curves they are asking you to integrate on

4. Mar 28, 2012 #3
    Ah so the unit circle wouldn't actually contain the point pi/2 whereas the circle mod(z)=2 would?

5. Mar 28, 2012 #4

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That's right. So in the unit circle case you need to figure out something else that lets you calculate the integral

6. Mar 28, 2012 #5
    Can I then use the integral theorem that says it will equal 0?

7. Mar 28, 2012 #6

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That will work

8. Mar 31, 2012 #7
    I'm a bit confused again, sorry!
    I thought that the z-Pi/2 on the denominator of the integral means we just shift the origin of the circle to a new position?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook