What is the Cause of Nearsightedness?

• Thread starter Jarfi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cause
In summary, the conversation discusses the causes of nearsightedness, also known as myopia, and presents two different explanations. The first explanation is that nearsightedness is caused by the lens of the eye being permanently curved due to prolonged reading or computer use. The second explanation is that it is caused by the eye muscles being locked in place and unable to relax, restricting the lens in a flexed state. The conversation ends with a question about which explanation is correct, or if both could be contributing factors to nearsightedness.
Jarfi
I have become nearsighted after too much reading/computer staring. And obviously it is because my eyes are spending most time focused at <=80cm distance.

Now my physics teacher said when in optics that nearsightedness was caused by the lens being permacurved, so that it could not flex back to it's flat configuration due to being held curved for so long. Somewhat like a spring that has lost it's ability to flex back due to some chemistry reasons.

This is fully logical, nothing wrong with that but then I read another explanation online;

Nearsightedness is caused by the muscles being locked in place, so that they cannot "relax" to let the lens is restricted in a flexed state by the eye muscles. But if the muscles were to relax the lens would automatically go to it's normal state and you would focus on the distance.

Now my question is, which of the following is correct:

i) nearsightedness is caused by the lens having lost it's elasticity and ability to flex to a long distance focus point when no force acts upon it.

ii) Nearsightedness is caused by the focus muscles that act on the lens being permanently locked and unable to relax to allow the lens to relax itself.

iii) Nearsightedness is or can be caused by ii), i) or both ii) and i) at the same time.

I excuse my lack of biological terms, STEM guy here.

Biology news on Phys.org

What is nearsightedness?

Nearsightedness, also known as myopia, is a common vision condition in which objects far away appear blurry, while objects closer to the eye are clearer. It occurs when the shape of the eye causes light to focus in front of the retina instead of directly on it.

What causes nearsightedness?

The exact cause of nearsightedness is not fully understood, but it is believed to be a combination of genetic and environmental factors. If one or both parents have nearsightedness, there is a higher chance that their children will develop it as well. Environmental factors such as excessive screen time and lack of outdoor activities may also play a role.

Can nearsightedness be prevented?

There is currently no proven way to prevent nearsightedness. However, some studies suggest that spending more time outdoors and limiting screen time may help reduce the risk of developing nearsightedness, especially in children.

How is nearsightedness diagnosed?

An eye doctor can diagnose nearsightedness through a comprehensive eye exam, which includes a visual acuity test, a refraction test, and an examination of the eye's structure and health. If you are experiencing symptoms of nearsightedness, it is important to schedule an eye exam with an optometrist or ophthalmologist.

What are the treatment options for nearsightedness?

The most common treatment for nearsightedness is wearing corrective lenses, such as glasses or contact lenses. These lenses help to focus light directly on the retina, improving vision. Another option is refractive surgery, such as LASIK, which reshapes the cornea to correct nearsightedness. However, surgery is not suitable for everyone and should be discussed with an eye doctor.