What is the Center of Mass of a Rod with Varying Linear Density?

In summary, a rod of length 30.0 cm with a linear density defined by λ = 50.0 g/m + 20.0x g/m2 has a mass of 15.9 g and its center of mass is located at 0.159 m from the x = 0 end. The mass can be calculated using the formula m=\int\limits_0^L \lambda(x) {\rm d}x and the center of mass can be calculated using x_G=\frac 1 m \int\limits_0^L x\lambda(x) {\rm d}x, where λ is a function of x.
bolivartech

Homework Statement

A rod of length 30.0 cm has linear density (mass-per-length) given by

λ = 50.0 g/m + 20.0x g/m2

where x is the distance from one end, measured in meters. (a) What is the mass of the rod?

(b) How far from the x = 0 end is the center of mass?

Homework Equations

Xcm = l/2

The Attempt at a Solution

λ = 50.0 g/m + (20.0)(.3m) g/m2

λ = 56 g/m * .3 m

λ = 16.8 g

Xcm = .3/2 = .15

The actual answers are 15.9 g and .159 m

Am I not using the formulas correctly?

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]m=\int\limits_0^L \lambda(x) {\rm d}x[/tex]

[tex]x_G=\frac 1 m \int\limits_0^L x\lambda(x) {\rm d}x[/tex]

Would I consider λ a constant.

m = λ1/2x2

m = (50.0 g/m + (20.0)(.3m) g/m2)(1/2)(.32)

of integrate it as well. Both ways that doesn't seem to be the right answer either. I get 2.43 if I integrate λ, and 2.52 if I don't.

bolivartech said:
Would I consider λ a constant.

[tex]\lambda[/tex](x) is a function of x that happens to be 50.0 + 20.0x, so you replace

[tex]\lambda[/tex](x) by 50.0 + 20.0x and integrate the result.

This is ridiculously when you put it that way. Thanks, I understand how to apply the formulas now. Hopefully when it gets rearranged for a test I will still see it.

1. What is the center of mass of a rod?

The center of mass of a rod is the point at which the entire mass of the rod is considered to be concentrated. It is the point where the rod would balance if it were placed on a fulcrum.

2. How do you calculate the center of mass of a rod?

The center of mass of a rod can be calculated by finding the average position of all the individual mass elements that make up the rod. This can be done by dividing the total mass of the rod by the length of the rod.

3. What factors affect the center of mass of a rod?

The center of mass of a rod can be affected by the distribution of mass along the length of the rod. A rod with an uneven distribution of mass will have a different center of mass than a rod with a uniform distribution of mass.

4. How does the center of mass of a rod affect its stability?

The center of mass of a rod is an important factor in determining its stability. If the center of mass is located above the base of the rod, it will be stable. However, if the center of mass is located outside the base of the rod, it will be unstable and may topple over.

5. Can the center of mass of a rod be outside the physical boundaries of the rod?

Yes, the center of mass of a rod can be outside the physical boundaries of the rod. This can occur if the rod has an irregular shape or if the distribution of mass is not uniform. However, the center of mass will always lie somewhere along the length of the rod.