Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The Centrum 'study'

1. Apr 23, 2013 #1

Borg

Gold Member

Centrum multivitamin has been running a series of commercials that run something like this:

Sooo... Why don't you tell us what the study found? Was there a benefit? :rolleyes:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 23, 2013 #2

wukunlin

Gold Member

Would be interesting if we can see those articles... my whole family takes them and they repeatedly tried to make me take them too.

4. Apr 23, 2013 #3
  5. Apr 23, 2013 #4

Evo

Staff: Mentor

There are no conclusive results.

But no results have been posted.

http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/results/NCT00270647

So, basically, the ad is misleading. Centrum gave the researchers vitamins for part of the study, the study was not about Centrum or about its efficacy, and nothing has been reported. Of course they made no claims that vitamins are helpful, just that they were included in a study. Scumbags, IMO.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2013
  6. Apr 23, 2013 #5
    Yeah it is really gross how the marketing dept just jumps on this looking for a quick buck.

7. Apr 23, 2013 #6

Evo

Staff: Mentor

And people will fall for it. Which, of course, is why Centrum wanted to donate vitamins.

Not that there is anything wrong with their product, it's just scummy advertising tactics.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2013
  8. Apr 24, 2013 #7

Danger

Gold Member

You must be doing something right; your coat is so shiny white and your nose appears to be appropriately moist...

9. Apr 24, 2013 #8

Borg

Gold Member

Thanks for finding that Greg. I remembered that a study came out recently that basically said that there was little to no benefit but a one hour search came up empty.
    The illogical conclusion of the ad has been annoying me for weeks. It reeks of being a modern day snake oil salesman.

10. May 7, 2013 #9

Bacle2

Science Advisor

Seems reasonable to assume you're being lied to as a default. You have, e.g., Lumosity, Baby Einstein, neither with evidence to support it, yet both claiming their products work. Cigarrettes where described at one point as actually being good for one's health.

Last edited: May 7, 2013
  11. May 9, 2013 #10

wukunlin

Gold Member

not only that. I'm doing an MSc unlike the Alaskan Malamute next door who sleeps all day and bark at the stars at night so no one can sleep.

12. May 9, 2013 #11

Danger

Gold Member

Well that's just rude of him.

Hey, now! Why don't you build some sort of noisy device to keep him awake all day? Then maybe he'll shut the hell up and sleep at night. (I'm thinking compressor hooked to an ultrasonic whistle, so humans won't know about it. :devil:)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook