The Chain Rule for Multivariable Vector-Valued Functions ....

In summary: I guess this is the question you answered yourself: ##E(y)## is defined in (17) such that this follows.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading Tom M Apostol's book "Mathematical Analysis" (Second Edition) ...

I am focused on Chapter 12: Multivariable Differential Calculus ... and in particular on Section 12.9: The Chain Rule ... ...

I need help in order to fully understand Theorem 12.7, Section 12.9 ...

Theorem 12.7 (including its proof) reads as follows:
?temp_hash=94e326edac58a0ed69338d46334d19ae.png

In the proof of Theorem 12.7 we read the following:

" ... ... Using (14) in (15) we find

##f(b+v) - f(b) = f'(b) [ g'(a) (y) ] + f'(b) [ \| y \| E_a(y) ] + \|v \| E_b(v)####= f'(b) [ g'(a) (y) ] + \| y \| E(y)## ... ... ... (16)Where ##E(0) = 0## and##E(y) = f'(b) [ E_a(y) ] + \frac{ \| v \| }{ \| y \| } E_b (v) \ \ \ \ \text{ if } y\neq 0## ... ... ... (17)... ... ... "
*** EDIT ***

It now occurs to me that in fact Apostol is defining E(y) in equations (16) and (17)

I should have seen this earlier ...

Peter

================================================================My questions are as follows:Question 1

Can someone show how Equation (16) follows ... that is ...

... how exactly does ##f(b+v) - f(b) = f'(b) [ g'(a) (y) ] + \| y \| E(y)##

follow from

##f(b+v) - f(b) = f'(b) [ g'(a) (y) ] + f'(b) [ \| y \| E_a(y) ] + \|v \| E_b(v)##?

Question 2

What is ##E## ... I know what ##E_a## and ##E_b## are ... but what is ##E##?

Similarly ... what is ##E(y)## in (16) and in (17) ... shouldn't it be ##E_a(y)## ... ?

Further ... why (formally and rigorously) does ##E(0) = 0##
Question 3

Can someone please demonstrate how/why

##E(y) = f'(b) [ E_a(y) ] + \frac{ \| v \| }{ \| y \| } E_b (v)##
Help will be appreciated ...

Peter

=========================================================================================

It may help Physics Forum readers of the above post to have access to Apostol's section on the Total Derivative ... so I am providing the same ... as follows:

Hope that helps ...

Peter

Attachments

• Apostol - 1 - Theorem 12.7 - Chain Rule - PART 1 ... .png
    Apostol - 1 - Theorem 12.7 - Chain Rule - PART 1 ... .png
    43.4 KB · Views: 1,045
  • Apostol - 2 - Theorem 12.7 - Chain Rule - PART 2 ...  ... .png
    Apostol - 2 - Theorem 12.7 - Chain Rule - PART 2 ... ... .png
    31 KB · Views: 1,120
  • Apostol - 1 - Section 12.4 - PART 1 ... .png
    Apostol - 1 - Section 12.4 - PART 1 ... .png
    44.6 KB · Views: 433
  • Apostol - 2 - Section 12.4 - PART 2 ... .png
    Apostol - 2 - Section 12.4 - PART 2 ... .png
    39.7 KB · Views: 444
  • ?temp_hash=94e326edac58a0ed69338d46334d19ae.png
    43.4 KB · Views: 603
    31 KB · Views: 552
    44.6 KB · Views: 424
    39.7 KB · Views: 411
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Math Amateur said:
*** EDIT ***

It now occurs to me that in fact Apostol is defining E(y) in equations (16) and (17)

I should have seen this earlier ...

Peter
Which of the following questions does this answer already?
Question 1

Can someone show how Equation (16) follows ... that is ...

... how exactly does ##f(b+v) - f(b) = f'(b) [ g'(a) (y) ] + \| y \| E(y)##

follow from

##f(b+v) - f(b) = f'(b) [ g'(a) (y) ] + f'(b) [ \| y \| E_a(y) ] + \|v \| E_b(v)##?
I guess this is the question you answered yourself: ##E(y)## is defined in (17) such that this follows.
Question 2

What is ##E## ... I know what ##E_a## and ##E_b## are ... but what is ##E##?
The general formula for differentiation in direction ##v## goes: ##f\,'(a) \cdot v = f(a+v)-f(a)+r(v)## with a remainder function ##r()## that has to obey ##\lim_{v \to 0} \dfrac{r(v)}{||v||} = 0##. ##E()## is the remainder we get from our formulas. Now we have to show, that the limit condition is obeyed.
Similarly ... what is ##E(y)## in (16) and in (17) ... shouldn't it be ##E_a(y)## ... ?
No. (17) is what defines ##E(y)##, and it depends on both evaluation points. But since ##b=g(a)##, in the end it depends on ##a## alone. But we do not write ##E_a(y)## because we have to distinguish our new remainder function ##E()## from the earlier one ##E_a(y)##. They are two different functions, see (17).
Further ... why (formally and rigorously) does ##E(0) = 0##
We consider the general formula ##f\,'(a) \cdot v = f(a+v)-f(a)+r(v)## again. Now if ##v=0##, we have ##r(v)=0##. Applied to the differentiations of ##f(x)## and ##g(x)## in (14) and (15), this means ##r(0)=E_a(0)=0## resp. ##r(0)=E_b(0)=0##. So by (17) we have ##E(0)= \text{ sth. I }\cdot 0 + \text{ sth. II }\cdot 0##. Now if ##\text{ sth. II }## is bounded as ##y \to 0##, we have a continuous function ##E()## if we set ##E(0)=0##. Remember, that we defined ##E()## such that it fits our needs. So if the coefficient in (17) at ##E_b(0)## will remain finite if we set ##y=0##, then ##E(0)=0## is a continuous expansion of ##E()## at ##y=0##.
Question 3

Can someone please demonstrate how/why

##E(y) = f'(b) [ E_a(y) ] + \frac{ \| v \| }{ \| y \| } E_b (v)##
We set it so. ##E(y) := \ldots##

Likes Math Amateur
THanks fresh_42 ...

Appreciate your help ...

Peter

fresh_42 said:
Which of the following questions does this answer already?

I guess this is the question you answered yourself: ##E(y)## is defined in (17) such that this follows.

The general formula for differentiation in direction ##v## goes: ##f\,'(a) \cdot v = f(a+v)-f(a)+r(v)## with a remainder function ##r()## that has to obey ##\lim_{v \to 0} \dfrac{r(v)}{||v||} = 0##. ##E()## is the remainder we get from our formulas. Now we have to show, that the limit condition is obeyed.

No. (17) is what defines ##E(y)##, and it depends on both evaluation points. But since ##b=g(a)##, in the end it depends on ##a## alone. But we do not write ##E_a(y)## because we have to distinguish our new remainder function ##E()## from the earlier one ##E_a(y)##. They are two different functions, see (17).

We consider the general formula ##f\,'(a) \cdot v = f(a+v)-f(a)+r(v)## again. Now if ##v=0##, we have ##r(v)=0##. Applied to the differentiations of ##f(x)## and ##g(x)## in (14) and (15), this means ##r(0)=E_a(0)=0## resp. ##r(0)=E_b(0)=0##. So by (17) we have ##E(0)= \text{ sth. I }\cdot 0 + \text{ sth. II }\cdot 0##. Now if ##\text{ sth. II }## is bounded as ##y \to 0##, we have a continuous function ##E()## if we set ##E(0)=0##. Remember, that we defined ##E()## such that it fits our needs. So if the coefficient in (17) at ##E_b(0)## will remain finite if we set ##y=0##, then ##E(0)=0## is a continuous expansion of ##E()## at ##y=0##.

We set it so. ##E(y) := \ldots##
Hi fresh_42 ...

Thanks again for the help ...

Just a clarification ...

You write ...

" ... ... The general formula for differentiation in direction ##v## goes: ##f\,'(a) \cdot v = f(a+v)-f(a)+r(v)## ... ..."

Changing ##a## to ##c## to conform with Apostol's notation we have ##f\,'(a) \cdot v = f(a+v)-f(a)+r(v)## ... ... ... (1)

Apostol's definition of differentiation (Equation (5) Section 12.4, page 346) reads as follows:

##f(c+v) = f(c) + f\, '(c)(v) + \| v \| E_c(v)## ... ... ... (2)

Now (2) ##\Longrightarrow f\, '(c)(v) = f(c+v) - f(c) - \| v \| E_c(v)## ... ... ... (3)

So comparing (1) and (3) we find they will be equivalent if

##f\,'(a) \cdot v = f\, '(c)(v)## ... ... ... (4)

and

##r(v) = - \| v \| E_c(v)## ... ... ... (5)Can you please explain why (4) and (5) hold true ... ?... and just another minor issue ...

You define r in the following sentence ...

" ... ... The general formula for differentiation in direction ##v## goes: ##f\,'(a) \cdot v = f(a+v)-f(a)+r(v)## with a remainder function ##r()## that has to obey ##\lim_{v \to 0} \dfrac{r(v)}{||v||} = 0##... "

and then later you assert "Now if ##v=0##, we have ##r(v)=0##." ... ...

Can you explain why ##r(0) = 0## ...
Thanks again for your help ...

Peter

Math Amateur said:
Hi fresh_42 ...

Thanks again for the help ...

Just a clarification ...

You write ...

" ... ... The general formula for differentiation in direction ##v## goes: ##f\,'(a) \cdot v = f(a+v)-f(a)+r(v)## ... ..."

Changing ##a## to ##c## to conform with Apostol's notation we have ##f\,'(a) \cdot v = f(a+v)-f(a)+r(v)## ... ... ... (1)

Apostol's definition of differentiation (Equation (5) Section 12.4, page 346) reads as follows:

##f(c+v) = f(c) + f\, '(c)(v) + \| v \| E_c(v)## ... ... ... (2)

Now (2) ##\Longrightarrow f\, '(c)(v) = f(c+v) - f(c) - \| v \| E_c(v)## ... ... ... (3)

So comparing (1) and (3) we find they will be equivalent if

##f\,'(a) \cdot v = f\, '(c)(v)## ... ... ... (4)

and

##r(v) = - \| v \| E_c(v)## ... ... ... (5)Can you please explain why (4) and (5) hold true ... ?
(4) is just a different notation. ##f\,'(c)## for functions ##f \, : \,\mathbb{R}^n \longrightarrow \mathbb{R}^m## is the Jacobi matrix evaluated at point ##x=c##. And ##v## is the direction, in which we consider the slope of the function, so ##f\,'(c)(v)= \text{ matrix times vector } = f\,'(c)\cdot v\,.##

(5) is also a notational difference. I abbreviated the remainder function by ##r()## and Apostol by ##E()## - for error function I guess. It has to run faster against zero, than the vector ##v##, i.e. ##\lim_{v\to 0}\dfrac{r(v)}{||v||}=0\,.## I only incorporated the ##||v||## term into the function ##r()## whereas Apostol operates with ##E(v)=\dfrac{r(v)}{||v||}##, i.e. we have ##\lim_{v\to 0}\dfrac{r(v)}{||v||}=\lim_{v \to 0}E(v)=0## as condition. It's just how you write the "error".
... and just another minor issue ...

You define r in the following sentence ...

" ... ... The general formula for differentiation in direction ##v## goes: ##f\,'(a) \cdot v = f(a+v)-f(a)+r(v)## with a remainder function ##r()## that has to obey ##\lim_{v \to 0} \dfrac{r(v)}{||v||} = 0##... "

and then later you assert "Now if ##v=0##, we have ##r(v)=0##." ... ...

Can you explain why ##r(0) = 0## ...
If we take ##f\,'(a) \cdot v = f(a+v)-f(a)+r(v)## and calculate with ##v=0## we get ##0=f\,'(a) \cdot 0 = f(a+0)-f(a)+r(0)=f(a)-f(a)+r(0)=r(0)##
Thanks again for your help ...

Peter

Likes Math Amateur
Thanks fresh_42 ...

Most helpful ...

Peter

What is the chain rule for multivariable vector-valued functions?

The chain rule for multivariable vector-valued functions is a mathematical rule that allows us to find the derivative of a composite function. It states that the derivative of a composite function is equal to the derivative of the outer function evaluated at the inner function, multiplied by the derivative of the inner function. In other words, it helps us find the rate of change of a function that depends on multiple variables.

Why is the chain rule important in multivariable calculus?

The chain rule is important in multivariable calculus because many functions in real-world applications are composite functions, meaning they are made up of multiple functions. The chain rule allows us to find the derivative of these composite functions, which is necessary for understanding the behavior of these functions and solving real-world problems.

How is the chain rule applied in practice?

The chain rule is applied by first identifying a composite function, which is a function within a function. Then, we use the chain rule formula to find the derivative of the composite function. This involves taking the derivative of the outer function and multiplying it by the derivative of the inner function. Finally, we substitute the inner function back into the derivative to get the overall rate of change.

What are some common mistakes when using the chain rule?

Common mistakes when using the chain rule include not correctly identifying the composite function, not applying the chain rule formula correctly, and not simplifying the derivative expression. It is also important to keep track of the variables and make sure they are consistent throughout the calculation.

How does the chain rule relate to other calculus concepts?

The chain rule is closely related to other calculus concepts such as the product rule, quotient rule, and power rule. It is also related to the concept of partial derivatives, which is used in multivariable calculus to find the derivative of a function with respect to one of its variables while holding the other variables constant.