Solving a Logarithmic Chain Rule Problem with u(r) Differentiation

In summary, the problem stated that by using the formula for u'(x), differentiate u(r) = -\frac{1}{(r+1)(r+2)\cdot\cdot\cdot(r+n)} \left[\frac{1}{r+1} + \frac{1}{r+2} + ... + \frac{1}{r+n}\right] but the correct answer should be u'(r) = (r+1)(r+2)\cdot\cdot\cdot(r+n)\left[\frac{1}{r+1} + \frac{1}{r+2} + ... + \frac{
Logarythmic
Problem:

[tex]u(x) = u_1(x)u_2(x)\cdot\cdot\cdot u_n(x)[/tex]

Show that

[tex]u'(x) = u(x)\left[\frac{u'_1(x)}{u_1(x)} + \frac{u'_2(x)}{u_2(x)} + ... + \frac{u'_n(x)}{u_n(x)}\right][/tex]

Hint: Take the logarithm of u(x) first.

I solved this by using the chain rule. Regarding the hint, am I missing something?

Next problem states that, by using the formula for u'(x), differentiate

[tex]u(r) = \frac{1}{(r+1)(r+2)\cdot\cdot\cdot(r+n)}[/tex]

When using the formula, my answer to this is

[tex]u'(r) = -\frac{1}{(r+1)(r+2)\cdot\cdot\cdot(r+n)} \left[\frac{1}{r+1} + \frac{1}{r+2} + ... + \frac{1}{r+n}\right][/tex]

but the correct answer should be

[tex]u'(r) = (r+1)(r+2)\cdot\cdot\cdot(r+n)\left[\frac{1}{r+1} + \frac{1}{r+2} + ... + \frac{1}{r+n}\right][/tex]

This seems like an elementary problem but I'm not getting the correct result so I must be missing something..?

Physics news on Phys.org
Logarythmic said:
Hint: Take the logarithm of u(x) first.

I solved this by using the chain rule. Regarding the hint, am I missing something?
Do you mean you didn't use the hint? The idea is to take the logarithm, then differentiate using the chain rule.

but the correct answer should be

[tex]u'(r) = (r+1)(r+2)\cdot\cdot\cdot(r+n)\left[\frac{1}{r+1} + \frac{1}{r+2} + ... + \frac{1}{r+n}\right][/tex]
This cannot be the correct answer.
You can see this by looking at the problem from a physical point of view: the units don't match. (say r is in meters, then the units of u' should be 1/m^(n+1))
Or from a mathematical point of view: it has only removable singularities, while u clearly goes to infinity at r=-i, i=1,2,..,n.

Your answer is in fact correct.

In the first part I didn't use the hint, I used the product rule.
I'm not as stupid as I think. The book is wrong and I am right. Thanks. =)

What level of rigour do you require? If using the product rule, then I hope you used induction on the number of terms, say, unless you;re allowed to use the product rule for n factors (which is entirely possible). Using logs it is a trivial exercise since logs turn products into sums and differentiation is linear.

Am I not allowed to do it like this:

[tex]u'(x) = u'_1 u_2 \cdot \cdot \cdot u_n + u_1 u'_2 \cdot \cdot \cdot u_n + ... + u_1 u_2 \cdot \cdot \cdot u'_n = u \left[ \frac{u'_1}{u_1} + \frac{u'_2}{u_2} + ... + \frac{u'_n}{u_n} \right][/tex]

?

Last edited:
Yes, you are allowed to do that. That is where induction with multiple terms in the product rule would ultimately take you as to which matt alluded.

That's funny, that is differentiating method that Feynman liked to use.

Yes that's funny. Maybe I have some potential. ;)

Mindscrape said:
That's funny, that is differentiating method that Feynman liked to use.
The product rule? I imagine a log of people like to use that method!

If [itex]u(x)= u_1(x)u_2(x)\cdot\cdot\cdot u_n(x)[/itex] then
[itex]ln(u(x))= ln(u_1(x))+ ln(u_2(x)+\cot\dot\cdot + ln(u_n(x))[/itex]
so that
[tex]\frac{1}{u(x)}u'(x)= \frac{1}{u_1}u_1'(x)+ \frac{1}{u_2}u_2'(x)+ \cdot\cdot\cdot+ \frac{1}{u_n}u_n'(x)[/itex]
Multiplying both sides of that by u(x) gives the result.

HallsofIvy said:
I imagine a log of people like to use that method!
A LOG of people??
Whatever base are you using here??:confused: :confused:

Well, it is not entirely just the product rule. There are a few steps to get there, not that it is out of people's reach, it's just not as obvious as you are making it out to be that you can differentiate like that.

The people log base, haha.

1. What is the logarithmic chain rule?

The logarithmic chain rule is a mathematical rule used to find the derivative of a function that involves the natural logarithm, ln. It is used when the function contains a composition of logarithmic functions.

2. How do I solve a logarithmic chain rule problem?

To solve a logarithmic chain rule problem, you first need to identify the function that contains the natural logarithm. Then, you can use the formula: d/dx[ln(u(r))] = 1/u(r) * du(r)/dr. You will also need to use the chain rule to find the derivative of u(r).

3. What is the purpose of using u(r) differentiation in a logarithmic chain rule problem?

The purpose of using u(r) differentiation in a logarithmic chain rule problem is to simplify the problem and make it easier to solve. It allows you to isolate the function containing the natural logarithm and apply the logarithmic chain rule formula.

4. Can the logarithmic chain rule be applied to any function with a natural logarithm?

Yes, the logarithmic chain rule can be applied to any function that contains a composition of logarithmic functions. However, it is important to note that this rule only applies to natural logarithms, not other types of logarithms such as log base 10.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when solving a logarithmic chain rule problem?

One common mistake to avoid when solving a logarithmic chain rule problem is forgetting to apply the chain rule to find the derivative of u(r). Another mistake is not simplifying the problem enough before applying the logarithmic chain rule formula. It is important to carefully follow the steps and double check your work to avoid making mistakes.