1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The chain rule

1. Mar 20, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hi all.

I have a time-dependent variable called x. I wish to differentiate x2 with respect to the time t, and this is what I have done:

[tex]
    \frac{d}{dt}x^2 = \frac{d}{dx}x^2\frac{dx}{dt} = \frac{d}{dx}x^2\dot x.
    [/tex]

where the dot over x denotes differentiation with respect to time t. Now my question is, must I differentiate [itex]\dot x[/itex] also with respect to x, since it is standing on its right side?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 20, 2009 #2

danago

Gold Member

Nah you dont. It is a little bit ambiguous how you have written it, but in this context it is just d(x^2)/dx MULTIPLED by x dot.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2009
  4. Mar 20, 2009 #3
    How is the proper way to write it then?

Thanks for replying.

5. Mar 20, 2009 #4

danago

Gold Member

Its not that how you have written it is wrong, it is just that it could possibly be misinterpreted. I personally would have witten it with the x dot on the other side of the derivative operator just so there will be no confusion:

[tex]

\dot x \frac{d}{dx} x^2

[/tex]

6. Mar 20, 2009 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Better would be
    [tex]\dot{x}\frac{dx^2}{dx}[/tex]
    or just
    [tex]\left(\frac{dx}{dt}\right)\left(\frac{dx^2}{dx}\right)[/tex]

Now, what is
    [tex]\frac{d x^2}{dx}[/tex]?

7. Mar 20, 2009 #6
    Ahh, now you are just teasing me :smile:

Thanks to all for helping.

8. Mar 20, 2009 #7

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

I don't think Halls was teasing - you shouldn't leave it as dx^2/dx. I think you understand, but I'm not 100% certain.

9. Mar 20, 2009 #8
    The reason why I didn't evaluate it in my first post was because I wasn't sure if I had to differentiate [itex]\dot x[/itex] as well, but now I would of course just write 2x instead.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook