Differentiating x2 w.r.t Time: Must I Differentiate \dot x?

In summary, when differentiating x^2 with respect to time t, the proper way to write it is \frac{dx^2}{dx}\dot x, where the dot over x denotes differentiation with respect to time t. There is no need to differentiate \dot x with respect to x in this context. It is important to clarify the notation to avoid confusion.
Niles

Homework Statement

Hi all.

I have a time-dependent variable called x. I wish to differentiate x2 with respect to the time t, and this is what I have done:

[tex]
\frac{d}{dt}x^2 = \frac{d}{dx}x^2\frac{dx}{dt} = \frac{d}{dx}x^2\dot x.
[/tex]

where the dot over x denotes differentiation with respect to time t. Now my question is, must I differentiate [itex]\dot x[/itex] also with respect to x, since it is standing on its right side?

Physics news on Phys.org
Nah you dont. It is a little bit ambiguous how you have written it, but in this context it is just d(x^2)/dx MULTIPLED by x dot.

Last edited:
How is the proper way to write it then?

Thanks for replying.

Its not that how you have written it is wrong, it is just that it could possibly be misinterpreted. I personally would have witten it with the x dot on the other side of the derivative operator just so there will be no confusion:

[tex]

\dot x \frac{d}{dx} x^2

[/tex]

Better would be
[tex]\dot{x}\frac{dx^2}{dx}[/tex]
or just
[tex]\left(\frac{dx}{dt}\right)\left(\frac{dx^2}{dx}\right)[/tex]

Now, what is
[tex]\frac{d x^2}{dx}[/tex]?

HallsofIvy said:
Now, what is
[tex]\frac{d x^2}{dx}[/tex]?

Ahh, now you are just teasing me :smile:

Thanks to all for helping.

I don't think Halls was teasing - you shouldn't leave it as dx^2/dx. I think you understand, but I'm not 100% certain.

The reason why I didn't evaluate it in my first post was because I wasn't sure if I had to differentiate [itex]\dot x[/itex] as well, but now I would of course just write 2x instead.

1. What is the meaning of "differentiating x2 w.r.t time"?

"Differentiating x2 w.r.t time" means finding the rate of change of the quantity x2 with respect to time. This is commonly used in physics and engineering to calculate the velocity or acceleration of an object.

2. Why is it necessary to differentiate \dot x?

It is necessary to differentiate \dot x because it represents the derivative of x with respect to time. This allows us to calculate the acceleration of an object, which is the rate of change of its velocity over time.

3. How do you differentiate x2 w.r.t time?

To differentiate x2 w.r.t time, you can use the power rule of differentiation: multiply the exponent by the coefficient and decrease the exponent by 1. So, for x2, the derivative would be 2x. This can be extended to more complex functions by using the chain rule.

4. Can you differentiate a function with respect to time even if it does not involve time as a variable?

Yes, you can differentiate a function with respect to time even if it does not involve time as a variable. This is because the derivative represents the rate of change of a function, and this can be calculated using the chain rule and other differentiation rules, regardless of the variables involved.

5. How is differentiating x2 w.r.t time useful in real-life applications?

Differentiating x2 w.r.t time is useful in real-life applications as it allows us to calculate the acceleration of an object, which is crucial in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. It also helps us understand the behavior of systems over time and make predictions based on their rates of change.