The Chosen One by Carol Lynch Williams

• Thread starter Sorry!
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a novel called The Chosen One by Carol Lynch Williams, which focuses on a young girl's life in a polygamist group. The participants are seeking opinions on the book and the topic of polygamy, with one person stating that polygamy is the norm for humans and is only seen as unacceptable due to societal constructs. The conversation also touches on the extreme actions of some polygamist organizations, such as child abuse.
Sorry!
Ok so I just read this novel called The Chosen One by Carol Lynch Williams...

Have any of you ever read it?

If not its about a polygamist group and a young girls life in it.

Just looking for opinions on the book as well on these societies... For instance in the book they arbitrarily killed a man for driving the girl... Has any incident like this ever occured?

What's your guys view on poygamist organizations?

Physics news on Phys.org
I've never heard of either the book or the author, and that's not something that I would read anyway.
Polygamy is the norm for humans; organized religion and politics have endeavoured to make it unacceptable. Monogamy is a human construct, primarily in Western culture. Some polygamous cults go way too far, involving child abuse, but that isn't an intrinsic element of a multiple-spouse lifestyle.

I have not read The Chosen One by Carol Lynch Williams, so I cannot provide a personal opinion on the book. However, I can offer a scientific perspective on polygamist groups and their societies.

Polygamy, the practice of having more than one spouse, is a complex and controversial topic. It has been practiced in various cultures and religions throughout history, but it is illegal in many countries today. From a biological perspective, humans are not biologically predisposed to polygamy. Our closest primate relatives, such as chimpanzees and gorillas, typically live in monogamous or polygynous societies, meaning one male mates with multiple females. However, humans have evolved to have a high level of social and cultural complexity, which allows for a wide range of relationship structures.

There is limited scientific research on polygamy and its effects on individuals and societies. Some studies have found that polygyny (one man with multiple wives) can lead to increased conflict and competition among wives, as well as emotional and psychological distress for women and their children. There are also concerns about the unequal power dynamics and potential for abuse within polygamous relationships.

In terms of polygamist organizations, there have been reports of incidents similar to the one described in The Chosen One, where individuals are punished or even killed for breaking the rules or trying to leave the group. These extreme measures can be seen as a way for the group to maintain control and prevent individuals from leaving. However, these actions are not representative of all polygamist groups and should not be generalized.

Overall, my view on polygamist organizations is that they should be closely examined and regulated to ensure the safety and well-being of all individuals involved. It is important to consider the potential negative effects on individuals and society as a whole, while also respecting the cultural and religious beliefs of those who choose to practice polygamy.

1. What is "The Chosen One" by Carol Lynch Williams about?

"The Chosen One" is a young adult novel that follows the story of Kyra, a 13-year-old girl who lives in a polygamous community. She is chosen to become the seventh wife of her 60-year-old uncle, but she struggles with the expectations of her family and community as she begins to question her faith and desire for a different life.

2. Is "The Chosen One" based on a true story?

No, "The Chosen One" is a work of fiction. However, it is based on real-life experiences of people who have lived in polygamous communities and the struggles they face.

3. What inspired Carol Lynch Williams to write "The Chosen One"?

Carol Lynch Williams was inspired to write "The Chosen One" after learning about the experiences of women and children in polygamous communities. She wanted to shed light on the often overlooked issues and give a voice to those who have been silenced.

4. What themes are explored in "The Chosen One"?

"The Chosen One" explores themes of identity, faith, family, and the power of love and resilience. It also delves into the impact of oppressive societal norms and the importance of standing up for oneself and one's beliefs.

5. Who would enjoy reading "The Chosen One"?

"The Chosen One" is recommended for young adults and adults who are interested in thought-provoking stories about challenging societal norms and the human experience. It may also be of interest to those who enjoy reading about different cultures and religions.