Christmas Thread: Santa, Reindeer, Elves & Yule Goats

In summary: Add 1 cup sugar a little at a time while beating (egg whites should hold stiff peak).Fold in (gently) 1 cup chocolate bits and 1/2 cup pecan...Sift together 1 cup all-purpose flour, 1/2 teaspoon baking powder, and 1/4 teaspoon baking soda.Add 1 cup sugar a little at a time while beating (egg whites should hold stiff peak).Fold in (gently) 1 cup chocolate bits and 1/2 cup pecan...Drop by rounded tablespoons onto ungreased baking sheets.Bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes.Add 3 egg whites in a large bowl and sprinkle with salt.
They are a cinnamon bar cookie, very much like a shortbread, except you push ridges across the top with your fingertips. The second it comes out of the oven, you dump a ton of powdered sugar and cinnamon on it. Melt in your mouth good eats!

Physics news on Phys.org
hypatia said:
They are a cinnamon bar cookie, very much like a shortbread, except you push ridges across the top with your fingertips. The second it comes out of the oven, you dump a ton of powdered sugar and cinnamon on it. Melt in your mouth good eats!
Can you post the recipe?

Spawn of Evo is coming over this week to make her favorite Cherry Winks (cookies made with corn flakes and maraschino cherries) and Moon cookies. I'm going to post both recipes.

Michigan Sandbar cookies

1 cup of butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 cups of flour
1 teaspoon cinnamon

Pre heat oven to 300

In large bowl, beat butter until fluffy. Add brown sugar and cinnamon, mix well. Then add flour and mix just until a dough forms. Its really easy to over work this, so with a gentle touch, press it into the bottom of a 9 by 13 pan{ungreased}. I use butter on my fingers to keep it from sticking to me. Push deep ridges across the dough.
Bake for 40 minutes.

Topping 1/2 cup powdered sugar 1 teaspoon of cinnamon. Sift together.
The second it comes out of the oven, sift the sugar/cinnamon over the top.

After it cools cut into 1 by 2 inch bars.

My Mom use to buy little chocolates shaped like seashells to have with them.

hypatia said:
Michigan Sandbar cookies

1 cup of butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 cups of flour
1 teaspoon cinnamon

Pre heat oven to 300

In large bowl, beat butter until fluffy. Add brown sugar and cinnamon, mix well. Then add flour and mix just until a dough forms. Its really easy to over work this, so with a gentle touch, press it into the bottom of a 9 by 13 pan{ungreased}. I use butter on my fingers to keep it from sticking to me. Push deep ridges across the dough.
Bake for 40 minutes.

Topping 1/2 cup powdered sugar 1 teaspoon of cinnamon. Sift together.
The second it comes out of the oven, sift the sugar/cinnamon over the top.

After it cools cut into 1 by 2 inch bars.

My Mom use to buy little chocolates shaped like seashells to have with them.
That sounds so easy! Thanks hypatia!

Great recipe! I think I may have all the ingredients on hand.

Evo said:
Can you post the recipe?

Spawn of Evo is coming over this week to make her favorite Cherry Winks (cookies made with corn flakes and maraschino cherries) and Moon cookies. I'm going to post both recipes.

I hope you have a wonderful time.:smile:

hypatia said:
I hope you have a wonderful time.:smile:
Thanks, we're going to add your bars!

Sounds yummy! Are Moon cookies for Moon bears? :biggrin:

I'm in a very good mood tonight. I leave tomorrow for vacation, and just got in some results from an experiment that have turned out beautifully, so can leave in a very good mood (and just gave a grad student the happy news he can start working on writing up the abstract over the Christmas break...:uhh:...to attend a conference in Hawaii! :biggrin: Something tells me the promise of a trip to Hawaii will more than make up for having to work on an abstract over Christmas break, especially since he had other work to do anyway on things that haven't been going as well).

Between good news on this experiment (this was better than just an experiment going "well"...this was GREAT...the sort of results that justify years of beating one's head against walls trying to make sense of strange results that others just wanted to give up on...of course, there's still "part 2" that can go wrong), and leaving for vacation tomorrow (a "the lab better be burning down if you call and disturb me with something work-related" vacation), I don't know how I'll ever get to sleep tonight. I already feel like a kid on Christmas Eve. :biggrin:

I'm really happy for you, Moonbear. That's great news. :smile:

Moonbear said:
, I don't know how I'll ever get to sleep tonight. I already feel like a kid on Christmas Eve. :biggrin:
I'd say count sheep, but your more than likely immune to that:redface:
Have a safe and fun vacation!

hypatia said:
I'd say count sheep, but your more than likely immune to that:redface:
Have a safe and fun vacation!

Yeah, I think counting sheep would keep me awake. That's too much like work.

Thanks, I'm definitely planning on fun.

Everyone have a very Merry Christmas! (Except JimmySnyder who is obliged by Judaic law to spend December 25th at the movie theater. :biggrin: Enjoy the movies!) And if any of you have left on your own vacations by the time I return, also have a Happy New Year!

This is quite an amazing rendition of "partridge in a pear tree" especially the last part of it:

Last edited by a moderator:
ohh and cute too!

The seems to be the only part of Christmas on PF -- other than the bah-humbug thread :biggrin:

Anyway, I'm shutting down for the hols.

Happy Christmas Everyone!

Merry Christmas J77!

Kurdt said:

That pretty captures my emotions about Christmas - at least until the last few days before. I think anyone who made a post about Christmas more than a week before should be slapped -- ooowww! what was that for :grumpy:. It's not that I don't like Christmas, but it's way too big of a hassle and way too long.

Everyone ought to be subjected to only one Christmas play the entire season and holiday parties ought to be held only between Christmas Day and New Year's Day. It's getting to the point that the Christmas season is amost as long as the College Football Bowl Season.

Anyway, it is close to Christmas, and the last few days before Christmas are almost always nice. We even have snow. :smile:

Here's an old Christmas photo.

http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/1971/cci00005tc1.png

Man, that TV didn't even have a remote. We had to walk all the way to the TV and back to change the channel, in the winter, no less!:frown:

And a turntable too!

Cute couple!

Looks like that mustache was gone just after that photo was taken.

So watched Christmas TV tonite, a goose bumps generating show of http://www.andrerieu.com/site/index.php?id=1&L=1` in Schönbrunn, Vienna. Absolutely the best attainable ever on classical music. The interaction with the public and the show element is fabulously amazing. Sorry, answering two questions: he is married to Majorie.

Anyway, a very special Christmas performance was given of "an der Schönen Blauen Donau"

Real Christmas music to me.

A new husband was perplexed while watching wife prepare a large ham for Christmas dinner. Before putting the ham in the cooking pan, she cut off the ends. "Why did you cut off the ends of the ham?", he asked. "I don't know replied his young bride; that's how my mother taught me to do it". So when her mother arrived for dinner, the young man asked her why she had taught her daughter to cut the ends off of a ham before cooking it. "Does this make it tasted better?" he asked. "I don't really know she replied; that's just how my mother taught me to do it".

Finally the grandmother arrived dinner, at which time she was asked the reason for this mysterious technique, to which she replied, "well now let's see... hmmmm...as near as I can remember, I didn't have a pan large enough for a full-sized ham, so I had to cut the ends off so that it would fit in the pan".

Last edited:
BobG said:
Man, that TV didn't even have a remote. We had to walk all the way to the TV and back to change the channel, in the winter, no less!:frown:

:rofl: We had some rather young folks stop by my sister's place for dessert on Christmas, and somehow the topic of TV came up. My brother-in-law was sort of bragging to them about how easy they have it (oh, I think this started with one of their cell phones ringing), and started talking about the old cable boxes with only 20-some channels on them. I just kind of looked at him funny (this happens often when he opens his mouth to say things), and pointed out that many of us didn't actually have cable or cable boxes, and actually had to get up to change the dial on the TV to watch the whole 6 or so channels that we got.

One of the "kids" remarked that if they didn't have a remote, they didn't think they'd want to get up every time they had to change channels. I just had to laugh, and told them that yes, we were much more content to just stick to watching one channel back then. Nobody just flipped through channels for an hour watching nothing.