What is the Name of the Musical Concept of a Never-Ending Circle?

• Music
  • Thread starter light_bulb
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circle Music
In summary, this person seems to be confused about the circumference of a circle and what it means for songs. They also mention a few music theory concepts, such as circles of fifths.
light_bulb
i like to listen to music a bit and one of the things that everyone who listens long enough notice is a circle that never ends, same thing with lots of things. now I've heard that the circumference of circle is an infinite number and that's what people seem to concentrate on if pie ends knowing it doesn't. know some songs claim "360 degrees of perfected styles" and others claim "circles in the sand" but here's the thing, I've noticed 3 sides to every song. now this may seem unimportant but it got me thinking on how this "wheel" works. it looks like a wheel with any number of spooks at any angle running straight through, in the middle you had the hub once you complete a song if you decide to go on you chose the next song which you can take a left, right or continue on through the middle, so you have two outcomes, stay on the edge of the wheel or stay in the middle of the wheel.

so with 3 ways to go you have two outcomes, what is this called? sorry if it sounds like nonsence.

Science news on Phys.org
...What?

EDIT: I read that really quickly which may have been a mistake... I'll read it once I'm done with my paper.

Last edited:
sorry, some of the songs i listen to have lots math referances. it doesn't have to be music. i guess it would be topology, nm :tongue2:

I can't make head or tail of that.

then I've done my job :D

Last edited:
light_bulb said:
i like to listen to music a bit and one of the things that everyone who listens long enough notice is a circle that never ends, same thing with lots of things. now I've heard that the circumference of circle is an infinite number and that's what people seem to concentrate on if pie ends knowing it doesn't. know some songs claim "360 degrees of perfected styles" and others claim "circles in the sand" but here's the thing, I've noticed 3 sides to every song. now this may seem unimportant but it got me thinking on how this "wheel" works. it looks like a wheel with any number of spooks at any angle running straight through, in the middle you had the hub once you complete a song if you decide to go on you chose the next song which you can take a left, right or continue on through the middle, so you have two outcomes, stay on the edge of the wheel or stay in the middle of the wheel.

so with 3 ways to go you have two outcomes, what is this called? sorry if it sounds like nonsence.
Get some sleep!

The circumference of a circle is finite, because the diameter (or radius) is finite. Pi is a transcendental number, which is also an infinite series, and is also the 'ratio' of a circle's circumference to its diameter.

Songs don't have sides - they have a beginning and an end, and everything in between is the song. :biggrin:

From any point, there are infinite directions - but one can only pick one at any instant.

Referring to the OP
what is this called?
Sleep deprivation. :biggrin:

Do you think you'll ever write a spherical song?

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks for clearing that up the math astronuc, I'm not polished :redface:.

in music theory you have a circle of notes, circles of 5th's.

:uhh: ...run :rofl:

Last edited:
This all sounds like the kind of music interpretation that can be only achived through chemical means, if you catch my drift :wink:

By the way- have you ever listened to A Perfect Circle :tongue2:

for some reason a cracked up peace sign doesn't do the name justice, maybe if it was on fire and dripping blood?

1. What is the circle of fifths in music?

The circle of fifths is a visual representation of the relationship between musical keys and their corresponding major and minor scales. It is a circular diagram that shows the progression of keys in a clockwise direction, with each key being a fifth (or seven half steps) apart from the previous one.

2. How is the circle of fifths useful in music?

The circle of fifths is useful for musicians because it helps with key signatures, chord progressions, and modulations. It can also aid in transposing music to a different key and understanding the relationships between different musical keys.

3. What is the purpose of exploring the circle of fifths in music?

Exploring the circle of fifths can help musicians deepen their understanding of music theory and improve their ability to compose and arrange music. It can also aid in learning new songs and improvising in different keys.

4. How do you read the circle of fifths?

The circle of fifths is read clockwise, starting at the top with C major, and moving around the circle in fifths (or seven half steps) to the right. Each key is represented by either a major or minor key signature, with the major keys on the outside of the circle and the corresponding minor keys on the inside.

5. Are there any exceptions or variations to the circle of fifths?

While the traditional circle of fifths follows a strict pattern of fifths, there are some variations and exceptions that can be found in music theory. These include the circle of fourths, the chromatic circle, and the double circle of fifths. Additionally, some musicians may use a modified version of the circle of fifths that includes more keys or alternative chord progressions.