Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The Coasttocoastam Thread.

1. May 27, 2010 #1
    Anyone listen to this show? It's about the most interesting show on imo. For the people who don't know what coasttocoast is about it's a radio show that talks about lots of "wierd" topics. Anyhow tonights episode... http://www.coasttocoastam.com/ includes an interview with Buzz Aldrin so hopefully it's good :)

2. jcsd
  3. May 27, 2010 #2
    I used to listen when it was Art. I do not like Noory very much as a host.

4. May 27, 2010 #3

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I haven't listened in years...it used to be a guilty pleasure :redface:. You mean Art isn't on anymore?!?

One time they had a woman on who said she could communicate telepathically with insects. She came on the show to let us all know that insects aren't our enemies and that they want us to stop using pesticides.

5. May 27, 2010 #4
    Yeah, he was having back problems and then his wife died. He still comes on every now and again but George Noory has taken over the show. He got remarried to some young lady in asia, I forget where, and moved there but I think he still has his compound in Nevada.

6. May 27, 2010 #5

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I listened regularly for about two years, back when Bell hosted the show. At the time I was trying to make sense of the UFO world. Bell's show was considered to be UFO central. In the end, I found that was not true, but it was UFO central for the wackos!

You know, I had almost forgotten this. Around about the year 2000, I was very active in a now defunct physics forum. About the time that forum died, I had become aware of the Art Bell show. Eventually, Michio Kaku was a guest and captured my interest. At this point the trail grows fuzzy, but IIRC, somehow this eventually led me to PF. We hosted Kaku's forum for a time, but that came later. So perhaps I was led here by a Kaku interview that was posted, or something of that nature. Ironic to think about though: I do believe that the Art Bell show eventually led me to PF.

7. May 27, 2010 #6
    Same here. I was looking up some wacky stuff that a guest on Coast to Coast had said something about and it led me here. I'm trying to remember his name, something french.

8. May 27, 2010 #7
    I listened to it once is it was a bunch of crackpots from what I took of it. Also I recently saw a commercial for Buzz Aldrin to be on "WWF' wrestling... so I'm kinda embarrassed for him.

9. May 27, 2010 #8

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

When I would listen, it was maybe...75% crackpots? But every now and then, something really interesting would be on. Even some of the crackpots were entertaining. You just had to know who was on which side of the sanity fissure :biggrin:.

10. May 27, 2010 #9
    i used to listen all the time. i guess we know who's up late, now.

11. May 27, 2010 #10

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The Art Bell show was like a fireside horror story, or like a ghost story told in the dark. I always thought Crystal Gayle really did capture the feeling of the show. And Bell was smart to advertise the fact that his show came from his home in the Nevada desert. This added to the ambiance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cmUpgvmFk4

Last edited: May 27, 2010
  12. May 29, 2010 #11
    Good show tonight I bet open lines and right now they are talking about the oil spill.

13. Jun 5, 2010 #12
    Listening to a replay of an old episode on the radio right now. Pretty good one today on immortality and medicine.

14. Jun 6, 2010 #13

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Don't listen to this stuff too much. Seriously, many of these folks are so far out on the fringe, and beyond, that they're just plain scary. I don't know if you ever heard his story, but the Lear Jet [son of the inventor] guy, is a classic example. Holy moley!!! That's not funny even when you know it's all a big fat lie. I can easily imagine that he caused a good number of people a great deal of distress; maybe even more than that. Anyone who listens to the open lines knows that some of these listeners are right on the edge already. The idea that with no hope of escape, that he knows for a fact, that we are all damned to hell as the eternal victims of soul-harvesting demon aliens, might be just enough to push some folks right over the edge.

The moment that you forget this is 99% nonsense and fairy tales, or, when your brains start leaking out of your ears, its time to turn on PBS. :biggrin:

Many people may not know this now, but Art Bell retired about a half-dozen times. Here is my explanation for Art Bell's frequent retirements [seriously]: Even he - the grand-master of bs - couldn't stand all of the bs any more!!!

Last edited: Jun 6, 2010
  15. Jun 6, 2010 #14
    The first time I heard the show, Art had just opened a "hot line" (or are the special phone lines called something else?) for either "Visitors-from-the-Future", or "Aliens-living-here-in-disguise" to call in. It was a scream. :rofl:

Been hooked ever since. Can't get enough of Ghost-to-Ghost.

16. Jun 6, 2010 #15

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That sounds like a great show!

17. Jun 6, 2010 #16

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Oh my. At least some guests were actually interesting.

I never lasted long on open line nights.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2010
  18. Jun 6, 2010 #17
    I always noted the tinge of skepticism in Bell's interviews. He would ask these questions, and in a tone of voice (like hearing a raised eyebrow), that could hardly leave you wondering as to what he thought of his guest's story. Maybe it was because the first time I listened to the show he blatantly made fun of a woman calling in to say that she was possessed by the devil.

The reason I don't care for Noory as much is primarily his patronizing style of interview. There's no note of skepticism. More often than not he will throw in his own cockamamy theories on top of the steaming pile. I have probably mentioned it before but I remember so well the time he had Troy Hurtubise, the Bear Suit inventor, on the show. It was bad enough that he was going on about his new invention "Angel Light" saying that he had no grounding what so ever in science and so called up all of his "nobel laureate friends" to bounce ideas off of them, but Noory obviously had no idea how to handle this guy. By the time he started talking about how the government had been sending black ops troops to try to capture him or steal his work, that he had booby traps all around his cabin and regularly found their dead bodies left behind when he came home, I was rolling on the floor when Noory cut in to say it was time for a break only to return suddenly with Mr. Hurtubise no longer on the line and who was not further mentioned for the rest of the show. I really wish I had that interview recorded, it was priceless.

Art also frequently had on guests that were actually credible or had nothing at all to do with fringe topics. My favourite was the famous hustler, gambler, and billiards player Amarillo Slim. He talked about his rivalry with Minnesota Fats and recounted several entertaining stories of the hustles he had pulled on people over the years. Another interview I wish I had a recording of.

19. Jun 6, 2010 #18
    Huh. I am surprised to find fans of this show here! I must admit, when people begin espousing the types of theories one encounters on these shows, I pretty much write them off as being not worth talking to. I used to try, but talking to "true believers" is not very interesting, except perhaps as a sociological study. The thing is dislike the most is how aggressive these people will be with their beliefs; that if you don't acknowledge the obvious "truth" it is because you are willfully blinding yourself to what is obvious. It is such an obnoxious point of view that I find it hard to tolerate such discussions for very long (moon hoaxers, 9/11 truthers, UFO conspiracy types, chemtrailers, shadow people, etc.) By the way, friggin' shadow people? What mental process goes on where perceived movement on the periphery of your visions that disappears when you try to look at it is best explained by the presence of intelligent entities?

20. Jun 6, 2010 #19
    This is more or less my way of looking at it. I just find it entertaining. I sort of view this stuff as "modern mythology".

21. Jun 8, 2010 #20

MacLaddy

Gold Member

Ian Punnet, one of the weekend hosts, tends to keep the show at a more sane- and interesting- level.

I honestly can't listen to Coast to Coast any longer, but I do credit it for driving me back to school, and helping to create the path of Electrical Engineering that I am on today. I just couldn't stand listening to all the pseudo-science babble and not be able to understand the implied logic, or to find faults in the crazed thinking and theories. R.C.H., the moon guy (I do not want to type his name for the Google Rating), he was one of the most influential to me. I always knew he was full of it with his crazed physics theories, but I couldn't prove it to myself, let-alone anyone else.

22. Jun 8, 2010 #21
    Can't stand the show.... it really is for lunatics

And it creeped me out in 8th grade waking up in the middle of the night with my radio on to the "bum-bum, bum-bum, bum-bum" intro music...

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook