Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The Collapse of a Black Hole

1. Mar 17, 2015 #1
    So I was reading threads and i came across a question on what happens when a black hole collapses. As I was reading the responses, I saw some people commenting in which they asked if the mass the black hole absorbed was released when the black hole collapsed. If it did would the black hole release the mass and expand continuously until it ran out of mass to expand from? If it did would it cause an explosion type expansion? And one final question, would it cause another big bang?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 17, 2015 #2

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Black hole collapse? Is there any theoretical or observational evidence that this is possible?

4. Mar 17, 2015 #3
    If the black hole were to disperse itslef in any way that you perfer considering we havent observed any black hole disapearing, what would happen to the matter that the black hole pulled into its singularity?

5. Mar 17, 2015 #4
    Black holes do evaporate. All of the mass/energy comes back to us.

6. Mar 17, 2015 #5
    How would it come back to us?

7. Mar 17, 2015 #6
    Hawking Radiation. Mostly photons, plus matter and antimatter particles in equal numbers. Lots of antimatter.

8. Mar 17, 2015 #7
    Oh i forgot about hawking radiation. Sorry for asking so many questions.

9. Mar 17, 2015 #8
  10. Mar 17, 2015 #9
    I will believe anything that hawking logically explains.

11. Mar 17, 2015 #10

wabbit

Gold Member

And if you want an explosion scenario rather than just boring old Hawking evaporation, look at Rovelli & Vidotto's" Planck Star" description of the possible fate of black hole in LQG
    http://arxiv.org/abs/1401.6562

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook