Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The Color of Galaxies

1. Nov 23, 2007 #1
    So, as you may or may not have known there's an interesting correlation between galaxy brightness and it's color.

Basically, the brighter the absolute luminosity of a galaxy the redder it tends to be when compared to galaxies of the same type. I say "tends" because randomness does give the exact result some leeway.

I was wondering if anyone had the relationships in "mathspeak" as I call it. I'd be very interested in the equation used to derive and display this.
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 23, 2007 #2

Gold Member

Red giants are much larger - one of the three factors that contribute to the apparent brightness of a star - or collection of stars.
  4. Nov 23, 2007 #3
    Well, Blue Giants can get pretty big too, but they tend to die pretty quick in comparison to Red Giants.

But I was thinking on a larger scale. Mathematical representation on a galactic scale is the goal, if from pure statisitcs alone.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?