Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The Commonly Confused Words Test

1. Aug 13, 2006 #1

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I wonder what I messed up on? :frown:

Advanced

You scored 100% Beginner, 100% Intermediate, 100% Advanced, and 73% Expert!

You have an extremely good understanding of beginner, intermediate, and advanced level commonly confused English words, getting at least 75% of each of these three levels' questions correct. This is an exceptional score. Remember, these are commonly confused English words, which means most people don't use them properly. You got an extremely respectable score.
    Thank you so much for taking my test. I hope you enjoyed it!

My test tracked 4 variables How you compared to other people your age and gender:

You scored higher than 44% on Beginner

You scored higher than 25% on Intermediate

You scored higher than 62% on Advanced

You scored higher than 24% on Expert

http://www.okcupid.com/tests/take?testid=14457200288064322170

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 13, 2006 #2
    Advanced
    You scored 85% Beginner, 92% Intermediate, 93% Advanced, and 33% Expert!

4. Aug 13, 2006 #3

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You scored 100% Beginner, 100% Intermediate, 93% Advanced, and 86% Expert!
    You did so extremely well, even I can't find a word to describe your excellence! You have the uncommon intelligence necessary to understand things that most people don't. You have an extensive vocabulary, and you're not afraid to use it properly! Way to go!

My test tracked 4 variables How you compared to other people your age and gender:

You scored higher than 99% on Beginner

You scored higher than 99% on Intermediate

You scored higher than 0% on Advanced

You scored higher than 99% on Expert

Love to see how the scores are handled.

"Stationary - stationery; farther - further."

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2006
  5. Aug 13, 2006 #4

jcsd

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm ofikally an English genius!

6. Aug 13, 2006 #5

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'd love to see the gender/age-wise scores. In my age and gender, as many as 7% scored 100% at Expert. So, either people my age are very good at the language, or people at your age are very bad.

Also, it's really strange that no one in your age & gender scored less than 93% on Advanced.

7. Aug 13, 2006 #6

Lisa!

Gold Member

Advanced
    You scored 85% Beginner, 92% Intermediate, 86% Advanced, and 73% Expert!
    You have an extremely good understanding of beginner, intermediate, and advanced level commonly confused English words, getting at least 75% of each of these three levels' questions correct. This is an exceptional score. Remember, these are commonly confused English words, which means most people don't use them properly. You got an extremely respectable score.

:bugeye: :tongue2: o:)

8. Aug 13, 2006 #7
    You scored 100% Beginner, 92% Intermediate, 93% Advanced, and 66% Expert!

9. Aug 13, 2006 #8
    English Genius
    You scored 92% Beginner, 100% Intermediate, 100% Advanced, and 80% Expert!
    You did so extremely well, even I can't find a word to describe your excellence! You have the uncommon intelligence necessary to understand things that most people don't. You have an extensive vocabulary, and you're not afraid to use it properly! Way to go! [I knew that this test was complete BS! :tongue2:]

You scored higher than 31% on Beginner

You scored higher than 44% on Intermediate

You scored higher than 80% on Advanced

You scored higher than 51% on Expert

10. Aug 13, 2006 #9
    This would amaze my English teachers, who found my work somewhat illiterate with alot of grammatical and spelling errors, it just goes to show that you can learn this stuff eventually, if you try.:biggrin:

Very pleased I'm not as illiterate is I had thought.

11. Aug 13, 2006 #10
    "English Genius" writing "alot" :rolleyes:

12. Aug 13, 2006 #11

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You scored 100% Beginner, 92% Intermediate, 85% Advanced, and 85% Expert!
    You did so extremely well, even I can't find a word to describe your excellence! You have the uncommon intelligence necessary to understand things that most people don't. You have an extensive vocabulary, and you're not afraid to use it properly! Way to go!

You scored higher than 99% on Beginner
    You scored higher than 99% on Intermediate
    You scored higher than 0% on Advanced
    You scored higher than 99% on Expert

Not too bad :smile:

13. Aug 13, 2006 #12
    Reading alot since I was 3, and trying to work out how words are used, dyslexic so I've had a deal of problems with poor spelling and grammar for years, which made me look at my writing. Also forums etc, I used to get asked alot to explain my posts as the sense wasn't apparent, so I spent a deal of time trying to make it more readable.

It wasn't a going to school type deal, but more of a just trying to be open to my obvious defficiency.

I spend ages editing posts because I can't write in a coherent manner off the cuff, so I often spend more time editing than I do writing.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2006
  14. Aug 13, 2006 #13
    He means you misspelled "a lot." ;)

15. Aug 13, 2006 #14
    Precisely my point, although not deliberate, but then I think the last post explains that, I have a grasp for it despite not having an inate ability. And that shows that I have tried really hard, even if I fail, at least I try.

Sometimes people spend too much time pointing out faults in the exact phrasing or text of people and not addressing what they are saying, even though they understand perfectly well, this shows that people sometimes lack the witt to discuss for me, they rely on nit picking as an excuse for inability to discuss a subject. Sometimes they truly don't understand but these posts are different, they don't say it's their not there, they say could you clarify I didn't understand your point. The former is pedantry the latter is good recourse and polite. Also the first is against most forum rules where as the latter isn't. Who really cares about finickety grammar/spelling jockeys.

Obviously though in this thread it is warranted, because the subject is your skill with English :smile:

16. Aug 13, 2006 #15

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

How'd I get 86% advanced and 100% expert?

17. Aug 13, 2006 #16
    You scored 85% Beginner, 100% Intermediate, 86% Advanced, and 60% Expert!

18. Aug 13, 2006 #17
    Oh yeah :approve:
    (Then again, English is an easy language and that test was pretty simple)

19. Aug 13, 2006 #18

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

deficiency

20. Aug 13, 2006 #19

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

wit:wink:

(Do you appreciate sarcastic humor?)

21. Aug 13, 2006 #20
    You're kidding right, I'm English:biggrin:

Yes but I'm somewhat bombarded with this sort of thing, so I do find it slightly grating as it happens so often that I can't ditinguish between sarcasm and ah well:rofl:

If your going to make apost about speeling corrections you need more grist for the mill.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?