The Role of Commutators and Poisson Brackets in Phase Space Geometry

In summary, the concept of commutation relations in quantum mechanics may not seem intuitive at first, but it is based on the idea that nature does not allow for the simultaneous measurement of certain quantities. This is related to the role of commutators and poisson brackets in the algebra and geometry of phase space, which are fundamental principles in classical mechanics and quantum theory. The noncommutativity of quantum mechanics arises from the same principles of symplectic geometry that govern classical mechanics.
aaaa202
Should I in any way find this intuitive? Apart from the fact that the idea of a commutation relation resembles the idea of a poisson bracket for operators I can't see how I should find it intuitive.

Physics news on Phys.org
you can not,the resemblance came from the mind of dirac.

aaaa202 said:
Should I in any way find this intuitive? Apart from the fact that the idea of a commutation relation resembles the idea of a poisson bracket for operators I can't see how I should find it intuitive.

Perhaps the intuitive view of commutation relations is the fact that nature does not allow the simultaneous measurement of two conjugate quantities. This happens because commutation relations imply some uncertainty principle.

aaaa202 said:

The relation between commutators and poisson brackets is their role in the algebra and geometry of phase space. Geometric transformations that preserve the local phase space volume ("smyplectimorphisms") can be described as a lie group with a lie algebra of infinitesimal transformations. In classical mechanics the lie algebra is created by the poisson bracket as the product between two algebra elements. In quantum theory the same transformations have the commutator as the product of the lie algebra. So if you construct the phase space transformations you automatically arrive at both the canonical poisson bracket and the canonical commutator.

The reason why you have to get the commutator is that translations on a function space (which are a special symplectimorphism) are generated by the derivative. And the derivative does not commute with the coordinate it refers to. That results in the noncommutativity in quantum theory, just from the same principles of symplectic geometry that underly classical mechanics.

What is a commutation relation?

A commutation relation is a mathematical relationship between two operators that describes how they behave when applied to the same system. It is used to determine the order in which operations should be performed and can provide insight into the physical properties of a system.

What is the significance of the commutation relation in physics?

The commutation relation is significant in physics because it helps us understand the fundamental principles of quantum mechanics. It allows us to predict the behavior of particles and systems, and it is essential for developing mathematical models that accurately describe physical phenomena.

What is the difference between a commutation relation and a correlation function?

A commutation relation is a mathematical relationship between operators, while a correlation function is a statistical measure of the relationship between two variables. In physics, the commutation relation is used to describe the behavior of operators in a quantum system, while correlation functions are used to analyze the behavior of physical quantities.

How are commutation relations used in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, commutation relations are used to determine the order in which operators should be applied to a system. They are also used to derive important equations, such as the Heisenberg uncertainty principle, and to solve mathematical models that describe the behavior of quantum particles.

Can commutation relations be violated?

No, commutation relations cannot be violated. They are a fundamental aspect of quantum mechanics and are necessary for describing the behavior of quantum systems. Any violation of a commutation relation would lead to inconsistencies in our understanding of the physical world.