I would simply like to know how to get 2^k.

In summary, the theorem states that the complete graph K_n can be expressed as the union of k bipartite graphs if and only if n is less than or equal to 2^k. The proof involves applying induction on k and dividing the vertices of K_n into two disjoint sets for the inductive step.
Terrell
The complete graph K_n can be expressed as the union of k bipartite graphs iff n≤2^k

I would simply like to know how to get 2^k.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Terrell said:
I would simply like to know how to get 2^k

Do you mean why is it like this or how to pick them as a step in the induction needed?

Likes Terrell
QuantumQuest said:
Do you mean why is it like this or how to pick them as a step in the induction needed?
i mean why it is like this.

Terrell said:
i mean why it is like this

As I remember from another thread you asked for the intuition of

Terrell said:
The largest n such that K_n can be expressed as the union of bipartite graph is 2^k where k is the number of bipartite graphs

and you got some intuition using coloring. So now for the theorem you have to apply induction on ##k## (##n \geq 2##) in order to prove it.

Start from ##k = 1##.Can you see the truth of the statement?
Proceed to ##k = m## for the inductive step. Hint: For ##n \leq 2^{m+1}## try to divide the vertices of ##K_n## in a helpful manner into two disjoint sets. Can you proceed further?

Likes Terrell
QuantumQuest said:
As I remember from another thread you asked for the intuition of
and you got some intuition using coloring. So now for the theorem you have to apply induction on ##k## (##n \geq 2##) in order to prove it.

Start from ##k = 1##.Can you see the truth of the statement?
Proceed to ##k = m## for the inductive step. Hint: For ##n \leq 2^{m+1}## try to divide the vertices of ##K_n## in a helpful manner into two disjoint sets. Can you proceed further?
will take it from there. thanks! how do you know it was me? lol... will try proving it later on as i am working on something else. will make sure to get back to this thread.

Likes QuantumQuest

1. How do I calculate 2^k?

To calculate 2^k, simply raise 2 to the power of k. In other words, multiply 2 by itself k times. For example, if k=3, then 2^k = 2*2*2 = 8.

2. Can I use a calculator to find 2^k?

Yes, most calculators have a power function that allows you to easily find 2^k. Look for a button that says "x^y" or "^" and enter 2 and then the value of k.

3. What is the value of 2^0?

The value of 2^0 is 1. This is because any number raised to the power of 0 is equal to 1.

4. How can I represent 2^k in exponential form?

2^k can be represented in exponential form as 2^k = 2k. The number in the superscript (k) represents the power to which 2 is raised.

5. Can I use negative values for k in 2^k?

Yes, you can use negative values for k in 2^k. This results in a fraction or a decimal number. For example, 2^-1 = 1/2 or 0.5.