1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Calculus

1. Apr 2, 2003 #1
    The Complete Idiot's Guide to Calculus

INTRODUCTION
    I've never really been very good at math and when I found out I had to take a Calculus class I started to panic. Once I gathered myself I went to the local bookstore to see if I could get a book to read so i could get a heads start. We are all familiar with the dummies and idiot books I think. This one caught my eye and I decided to buy it

AUDIENCE
    This book is for anyone looking for a first glance at Calculus.

SCOPE
    Covers every major topic from Limits to Special Series.

PROS
    The author is fantastic at making the math fun. It's not like reading a textbook at all. He throws in some history, fun quotes and applies concepts into real world applications.

Although the book goes through the very basics, I felt I knew enough after reading to take my course head on. There are many examples for each concept and the author includes some check point exercises and quizes.

It's a short read at 300 pages, something you could pick up and finish in a week if your curious about what Calculus is all about.

CONS
    As I said the book goes through the very basics and that could be bad for some people who want to know topics in depth. Otherwise I can't really see anything wrong with this book.

CONCLUSION

Find it on amazon:
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...002-6949985-7539234?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

It's paperback, very light and I got it for about $20.

Rating: 5/5

Last edited: Apr 2, 2003
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted