Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The Complex Forcing Function

1. Oct 17, 2015 #1
    In class we've been talking about circuits with AC sources of the form v(t) = Vmcos(ωt+θ) which produces a current i(t) = Imcos(ωt+Φ). They go on to talk about shifting their time reference by re-writing the function for voltage, Vmcos(ωt + θ - 90°) = Vmsin(ωt+θ) the current Imcos(ωt+Φ-90°) = Imsin(ωt+Φ) for some reason of which I can only speculate. Next multiplication of the forcing function vm(t) by j somehow transforms what was once Vmcos(ωt+θ) into jVmsin(ωt + θ). And then use the superposition theorem to produce the total response for the complex forcing function to be v(t) = Vmcos(ωt+θ) + jVmsin(ωt+θ).
    My confusion deals with their "shifting of the reference time" and how they transformed the forcing function into a sinusoid. Do they re-write cosines as sines just to use eulers identity later on?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 17, 2015 #2
    Got it now

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook