The complex Poynting vector

In summary: Ignore the "radiation from a charge" part. That's the next lecture.In summary, the conversation is about a circular capacitor with a dielectric material filled inside, fed by a time harmonic current. The magnetic field distribution inside the capacitor is found assuming a constant electric field. The complex Poynting vector is computed and it is shown that the capacitor does not radiate an electromagnetic field. The total stored energy density is calculated and it is shown that far away from the center, the gradient of the Poynting vector minus the product of the imaginary unit and the angular frequency is equal to zero. The surface current density is also found as a function of radial distance on the top plate. There is a mention of Feyn
Noname
Member has been warned not to remove the template.
Hi guys,
Consider a circular capacitor with a disk of radius a and plate separation d, as shown in the figure below. Assuming the capacitor is filled with a dielectric constant epsilon and the capacitor is fed by a time harmonic current I0
(a) Find the magnetic field distribution inside the capacitor assuming that the electric field is constant.
(b) Compute the complex Poynting vector and prove that the capacitor does not radiate an electromagnetic field. (Hint: S=(1/2)ExH ; only Re[S ] radiates an electromagnetic field.)
(c) Compute the total stored energy density W and show that far away from the center (kr<< 1): grad(S)-iwW = 0
(d) Find the surface current density as a function of radial distance on the top plate.

I don't really know how to do the (b). I have S=(1/2)ExH. I think I need to write E and H in complex, I have E=Eo*exp(iwt) and H=Ho*exp(iwt). But I can't prove S is only an imaginary part.

Sans titre.jpg

Attachments

• Sans titre.jpg
    Sans titre.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 761
Physics news on Phys.org
Normally, for time-harmonic fields the time-average of the real Poynting vector is:

##\langle \mathbf{S} \rangle=\frac{1}{2}\Re\left( \mathbf{E}^{\dagger} \times \mathbf{H}\right)##

So, I guess, the complex Poynting vector you want is ##\mathbf{E}^{\dagger} \times \mathbf{H}##, i.e. you are missing the complex conjugation (which will remove ##\exp\left(i \omega t\right)##)

Feynman treats this problem, (without the dielectric material), in his lectures. See Fig. 27-3 and thereabouts. http://www.feynmanlectures.caltech.edu/II_27.html ## \\ ## He uses a slightly different type of units, but you should find it good reading.

What is the complex Poynting vector?

The complex Poynting vector is a mathematical representation of the electromagnetic wave's energy flow. It takes into account both the real and imaginary components of the electric and magnetic fields, providing a more accurate description of energy transfer in electromagnetic systems.

How is the complex Poynting vector calculated?

The complex Poynting vector is calculated by taking the cross product of the complex electric field and the complex magnetic field. This results in a complex vector quantity with real and imaginary components, representing the direction and magnitude of energy flow.

What is the significance of the complex Poynting vector in electromagnetic theory?

The complex Poynting vector is an important concept in electromagnetic theory because it allows for a more comprehensive understanding of energy transfer in electromagnetic systems. It takes into account both the real and imaginary components of the fields, providing a more complete picture of energy flow.

How is the complex Poynting vector related to the real Poynting vector?

The real Poynting vector is the time-averaged value of the complex Poynting vector. In other words, it is the average of the complex vector over a period of time. This relationship allows for the complex Poynting vector to be used in practical applications, as the real Poynting vector can be measured and observed.

What are some applications of the complex Poynting vector?

The complex Poynting vector has many applications in various fields, including telecommunications, optics, and antenna design. It is also used in the study of electromagnetic waves, such as in radar technology and wireless communication systems.