1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The Compton Effect, Questions

1. Apr 10, 2008 #1
    I have 3 homework questions that I need help with:

Q1 X-rays having an energy of 543 keV undergo Compton scattering from a target. The resulting Compton shift is 3.83x1E-13 m. Find the energy of the recoiling electron. (units: keV)

Q2 Find the maximum fractional energy loss for a 0.491 MeV gamma ray that is Compton scattered from a free electron.

Q3 Find the maximum fractional energy loss for a 0.778 MeV gamma ray that is Compton scattered from a free proton.

As far as these questions go, the only thing I can think of doing is somehow manipulating the compton shift equation

delta λ =h/MeC (1-costheta)

or should I use the equation E=hc/λ?

Any help with these problems is very appreciated. Also, if I'm not in the correct forum, please direct me to the correct one.

Thanks.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 14, 2011 #2
    In 1st problem you have given scatter value (3.83*10-13 m) which is less value compare to incident wavelength:)that i have calculated (3.6*10-12m). According to compton effect wavelength should increas after scattering hence problem is wrong:-)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?