Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: The Compton Effect, Questions

1. Apr 10, 2008 #1
    I have 3 homework questions that I need help with:

Q1 X-rays having an energy of 543 keV undergo Compton scattering from a target. The resulting Compton shift is 3.83x1E-13 m. Find the energy of the recoiling electron. (units: keV)

Q2 Find the maximum fractional energy loss for a 0.491 MeV gamma ray that is Compton scattered from a free electron.

Q3 Find the maximum fractional energy loss for a 0.778 MeV gamma ray that is Compton scattered from a free proton.

As far as these questions go, the only thing I can think of doing is somehow manipulating the compton shift equation

delta λ =h/MeC (1-costheta)

or should I use the equation E=hc/λ?

Any help with these problems is very appreciated. Also, if I'm not in the correct forum, please direct me to the correct one.

Thanks.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 14, 2011 #2
    In 1st problem you have given scatter value (3.83*10-13 m) which is less value compare to incident wavelength:)that i have calculated (3.6*10-12m). According to compton effect wavelength should increas after scattering hence problem is wrong:-)

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook