Exploring the Compton Effect: Solving Homework Questions on X-ray Scattering

In summary, the conversation discusses three homework questions related to Compton scattering and finding the energy and maximum fractional energy loss of scattered particles. The use of equations and a request for assistance is also mentioned. One of the questions is deemed to have a mistake.
Propagandhi
I have 3 homework questions that I need help with:

Q1 X-rays having an energy of 543 keV undergo Compton scattering from a target. The resulting Compton shift is 3.83x1E-13 m. Find the energy of the recoiling electron. (units: keV)

Q2 Find the maximum fractional energy loss for a 0.491 MeV gamma ray that is Compton scattered from a free electron.

Q3 Find the maximum fractional energy loss for a 0.778 MeV gamma ray that is Compton scattered from a free proton.

As far as these questions go, the only thing I can think of doing is somehow manipulating the compton shift equation

delta λ =h/MeC (1-costheta)

or should I use the equation E=hc/λ?

Any help with these problems is very appreciated. Also, if I'm not in the correct forum, please direct me to the correct one.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
In 1st problem you have given scatter value (3.83*10-13 m) which is less value compare to incident wavelength:)that i have calculated (3.6*10-12m). According to compton effect wavelength should increas after scattering hence problem is wrong:-)

What is the Compton Effect?

The Compton Effect is a physical phenomenon discovered by Arthur Compton in 1923, in which an X-ray photon collides with an electron, resulting in a change in the wavelength and direction of the photon.

What is the significance of the Compton Effect?

The Compton Effect provided evidence for the existence of photons and helped to further develop our understanding of the wave-particle duality of light. It also has important applications in fields such as X-ray imaging and radiation therapy.

How does the Compton Effect occur?

The Compton Effect occurs when an X-ray photon, which has a much shorter wavelength than visible light, interacts with an electron. The photon transfers some of its energy to the electron, causing it to recoil and change direction. This results in a longer wavelength and lower energy photon.

What is the difference between the Compton Effect and the Photoelectric Effect?

Both the Compton Effect and the Photoelectric Effect involve the interaction between photons and electrons, but they differ in the mechanism of energy transfer. In the Compton Effect, the photon transfers some of its energy to the electron, while in the Photoelectric Effect, the photon fully transfers its energy to the electron, causing it to be ejected from the material.

What are some real-world applications of the Compton Effect?

The Compton Effect has many practical applications, including in medical imaging, where it is used to produce images of the internal structures of the body. It is also used in radiation therapy for cancer treatment, as well as in security scanners at airports to detect hidden objects. Additionally, the principles of the Compton Effect are used in X-ray diffraction techniques to study the atomic and molecular structure of materials.