Understanding Pressure in Static Fluids: Simple Tutorials and Illustrations

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of pressure in static fluids and the difficulties in understanding it. The person asks for suggestions for tutorials and pages to read in order to fully comprehend the concept. The expert responds by giving a general example and provides a link to an article with illustrations. The expert also explains the definition of pressure at a point and how it can be calculated using a limit process. The person expresses appreciation for the explanation and asks for more information.
Misr
hello world,
We are studing about static fluids and i can't introduce the concept of pressure to my mind
I can't imagine what is pressure?What is pressure at a point?I need images and iluustrations
could you suggest for me some simple tutorials and some pages to read in order to fully imagine what is pressure?
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you wanting something for pressure in general, or specific for a fluid? A general example is to simply press down on your arm or to set something in your hand. For a fluid or gas the first picture in the following article seems like it might help. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pressure

Strictly speaking, "pressure" isn't defined at a point. The pressure on a region is the total force on that region divided by the area of the region. Of course, if the force is constant on the entire region, no matter what "sub region" we take, we would always get the same fraction and so could think of that as the pressure "at a point". If the force varies, you would have to use a "limit process" as is done in Calculus.

Are you wanting something for pressure in general, or specific for a fluid? A general example is to simply press down on your arm or to set something in your hand. For a fluid or gas the first picture in the following article seems like it might help. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pressure
Strictly speaking, "pressure" isn't defined at a point. The pressure on a region is the total force on that region divided by the area of the region. Of course, if the force is constant on the entire region, no matter what "sub region" we take, we would always get the same fraction and so could think of that as the pressure "at a point". If the force varies, you would have to use a "limit process" as is done in Calculus.

Hello there,

Understanding pressure in static fluids can be a challenging concept, but with the right resources and illustrations, it can become much clearer. Pressure in a fluid is the force exerted by the fluid on an object per unit area. This means that the pressure at a point is the amount of force that the fluid is pushing on that specific point.

To help visualize this, I suggest looking into some simple tutorials and illustrations that can break down this concept for you. One great resource is Khan Academy, which has a variety of videos and interactive simulations that can help explain pressure in static fluids. Another helpful resource is the website Physics Classroom, which has clear explanations and diagrams to aid in understanding pressure.

Additionally, I recommend reading through some introductory chapters or sections in a fluid mechanics textbook that cover pressure in static fluids. This will provide you with a more in-depth understanding of the concept and its applications.

I hope these suggestions help you better understand pressure in static fluids. Remember, it's important to take your time and review the material thoroughly to fully grasp the concept. Best of luck in your studies!

1. What is pressure?

Pressure is a force exerted on an area. It is a measure of how much force is being applied per unit area.

2. How is pressure measured?

Pressure is typically measured in units of force per unit area, such as pounds per square inch (psi) or Pascals (Pa).

3. What factors affect pressure?

The factors that affect pressure include the amount of force applied, the area over which the force is applied, and the type of material the force is acting on.

4. How does pressure impact gases, liquids, and solids differently?

In gases, pressure is the result of the collisions of gas particles with the walls of their container. In liquids, pressure is the result of the weight of the liquid above it. In solids, pressure is caused by the external force acting on the surface of the solid.

5. How can pressure be changed or controlled?

Pressure can be changed by altering the amount of force or area over which the force is applied. It can also be controlled by manipulating the temperature or volume of the substance.