1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The Conical Pendulum

1. Mar 12, 2007 #1
    The Conical Pendulum

A small object of mass m is suspended from a string of length L = 1.8 m. The object revolves in a horizontal circle of radius r with constant speed v and angle = 28°

Find the speed of the object.
    i found s=v=2.098.

Find the period of revolution, defined as the time interval required to complete one revolution.
    i found it to be ... t=2.53

For the conical pendulum described above, determine the following if m = 14.0 kg.
    (a) the horizontal and vertical components exerted by the string on the object
    (b) the radial acceleration of the object.

for H my equation is
    T=ma/sin theta

and to find a=s/t
    i take what i found in the previous problem right?
    so s=v=2.098
    and t=2.53?

and for Fv my equation is T=mg/costheta?

and then for part b...mv^2/r...
    but what is r?

OKAY i found everything BUT the HORIZONTAL COMPONENT!!!
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 13, 2007 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

For the first part I get a slightly different answer for the speed and period. your answers are round about the same as mine so perhaps just using different constants.

For parts a and b, you will have to go back to the circular motion equations and find the horizontal force being exerted on the bob.

part b the equation you have used is for force but you want acceleration. Remember F=ma. Also you should know what r is from the first part of the question. Its simply a matter of trigonometry (i.e. the pendulum string forms a right angled triangle with the vertical and horizontal and you know the hypotenuse and one of the angles).
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?