1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The conjugate of sin(z)

1. Sep 27, 2012 #1
    The problem is to show [itex]sin\overline{z} = \overline{sinz}[/itex]. What I need is help to get going.

We know that [itex]sinz = \frac{e^{iz}-e^{-iz}}{2i}[/itex]

I can't see the first step in this. What I've tried to do is expressing [itex]sin\overline{z} [/itex] and [itex] \overline{sinz} [/itex] in terms of the above equation, but I don't know how to write the conjugate of [itex]\frac{e^{iz}-e^{-iz}}{2i}[/itex]. Of course I know the conjugate of a regular complex number, [itex]\overline{z} = x - iy[/itex]. How do these relate?

Last edited: Sep 28, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 27, 2012 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Use the fact that eix = cos(x) + isin(x)

4. Sep 28, 2012 #3
    Indeed, that's what I did. But it doesn't take me anywhere: What I get is [itex] \overline{sinz} = \overline{\frac{cosz+isinz-cos(-z)-isin(-z)}{2i}} [/itex]. And I don't see how I could turn that into the form [itex] \overline{z} = x-iy [/itex]. Let alone [itex] \frac{cos\overline{z}+isin\overline{z}-cos(-\overline{z})-isin(-\overline{z})}{2i} (= sin\overline{z}) [/itex].

5. Sep 28, 2012 #4

Mentallic

Homework Helper

Can you simplify cos(-z)? What about sin(-z)?

Now, you know that the conjugate of a complex number a+ib is a-ib, so what you need to do is to make sure you always convert it into the form a+ib, remembering that a and b can any complicated expression, as long as you have the real numbers on one side (a) and then the imaginary numbers (b) all multiplied by i.

So for example, if I had 1+ix+ex-i.cos(x) then to find the conjugate I'd first group all real terms and then all imaginary terms like so:

(1+ex)+i(x-cos(x))

Which then the conjugate is

(1+ex)-i(x-cos(x))

So for your problem, you also have the issue that i is in the denominator. How can we get rid of that?

6. Sep 28, 2012 #5

Curious3141

Homework Helper

This line of thinking is not going to get you anywhere, because after simplification, you're going to end up with the trivial identity [itex]\sin z = \sin z[/itex].

Better to start with [itex]z = x + yi[/itex], where x and y are real, then use the angle sum identity for sine to work out [itex]\overline{\sin z}[/itex] and [itex]\sin{\overline{z}}[/itex] and prove they're equal. You'll need to use hyperbolic trig functions to simplify the circular trig ratios for the imaginary part [itex]yi[/itex].

7. Sep 28, 2012 #6

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You do not need to use z=x+iy. Start with the conjugate of sin(z). You get the conjugate by changing i to -i and z to [itex]\bar {z}[/itex].

ehild

8. Sep 28, 2012 #7

Curious3141

Homework Helper

How exactly would one simplify sin(z) here, then get its conjugate?

EDIT: I guess you mean he would apply this step to: [itex]\sin z = \frac{e^{iz} - e^{-iz}}{2i}[/itex]?

Then my question is: can you apply such an operation without a general proof?

It would be sufficient to prove that [itex]\overline{e^{iz}} = e^{-i\overline{z}}[/itex]. But as far as I know, this is not a result that can be assumed without proof.

9. Sep 28, 2012 #8

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Well, when I studied complex numbers it was shown to us that we get the conjugate of anything by changing i to -i and the variables to their conjugate. Anyway, the conjugate of a sum is the sum of conjugate, and it is the same with a product. eiz was defined with its Taylor expansion, which contains products and a sum.

But the conjugate of eiz is easy to derive.

[tex]e^{iz}=e^{i(x+iy)}=e^{ix-y}=e^{-y}(cosx+isinx)[/tex]

[tex]\overline{e^{iz}}=\overline{e^{-y}(cosx+isinx)}=e^{-y}(cosx-isinx)=e^{-y}(cos(-x)+isin(-x))=e^{-y-ix}=e^{-i(x-iy)}=e^{-i\bar{z}}[/tex]

ehild .

10. Sep 29, 2012 #9

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Depends on the class, I suppose. My first thought was the same as ehild's, but only the OP can tell us if that would be an appropriate proof.

11. Sep 29, 2012 #10

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I think the simple proof I have shown is taught when the function eiz is defined in classes.

ehild

12. Sep 29, 2012 #11

Curious3141

Homework Helper

OK, thanks, I guess it's up to the poster to tell us if he can actually use that without proof.

By the way, when does [itex]\overline{f(z)} = f({\overline{z}})[/itex]? It's certainly true for all polynomial functions. By extension, I guess any function that has a Taylor series also satisfies this criterion. Can you think of any counterexamples?

13. Sep 29, 2012 #12
    You want to know how to find the conjugate of [itex]sinz = \frac{e^{iz}-e^{-iz}}{2i}[/itex]

I'd do it as

[tex]sinz* = \frac{e^{iz}+e^{-iz}}{2i}[/tex]

all you do is change the sign. It is similar to

[tex]cos \theta = \frac{e^{i\theta} + e^{-i\theta}}{2}[/tex]

[tex]sin \theta = \frac{e^{i\theta} - e^{-i\theta}}{2}[/tex]

14. Sep 29, 2012 #13

Curious3141

Homework Helper

This is wrong.

Right, but irrelevant.

Also wrong (denominator should be 2i).

15. Sep 29, 2012 #14
    [tex]\overline{\left(\frac{z}{w}\right)} =\frac{\overline{z}}{\overline{w}}[/tex]

and:

[tex]\overline{z-w}=\overline{z}-\overline{w}[/tex]

There you go then:

[tex]\overline{\left(\frac{e^{iz}-e^{-iz}}{2i}\right)}= \frac{\overline{e^{iz}-e^{-iz}}}{\overline{2i}}= \frac{\overline{\left(e^{iz}\right)}-\overline{\left(e^{-iz}\right)}}{-2i}[/tex]

and it's not hard to musscle-through the conjugate of the exponents:

[tex]\overline{\left(e^{iz}\right)}=\overline{e^{-b}\left(\cos(a)-i\sin(a)\right)}=e^{\left(\overline{iz}\right)}=e^{-i\overline{z}}[/tex]

You can finish it.

Edit: Sorry, just saw others did similar and can't delete it.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2012
  16. Sep 30, 2012 #15

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What about f(z)=1 if Im(z)≥0 and f(z)=0 if Im(z)<0? The conjugate of f(z) is itself, but f*(u+iv)=f(u+iv)≠f(u-iv).

ehild

17. Sep 30, 2012 #16

Curious3141

Homework Helper

Ha ha, I guessed it had to be a "weird" function like that! :tongue:

18. Sep 30, 2012 #17

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Well, my Math knowledge is very rusty. What can be the name of those functions for which f*(z)=f(z*)?

ehild

19. Sep 30, 2012 #18

Curious3141

Homework Helper

Umm... "conjugal functions"? They're loads of fun, just like conjugal visits in prison. :tongue2:

20. Oct 1, 2012 #19
    I apologize, there should have been an imaginary number in the denominator.

However I don't see how it is irrelevant. If they want to conjugate the equation they gave, we are talking about a simple sign change. Why would that be wrong?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook