1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The continuous dual is Banach

1. Jan 18, 2008 #1

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

[SOLVED] The continuous dual is Banach

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I'm trying to show that the continuous dual X' of a normed space X over K = R or C is complete.

3. The attempt at a solution

I have shown that if f_n is cauchy in X', then there is a functional f towards which f_n converge pointwise. Then I showed that the distance ||f_n - f|| can be made arbitrarily small. The only thing that remains then is to show that f is indeed linear and continuous. The linear part is easy but the continuous part eludes me.

To say a linear functional f is continuous is equivalent to saying that ||f||<+oo. But I can't conclude that from the fact that f_n --> f (pointwise). I would need f_n --> f (uniformly). Or I would need a whole other approach. Ideas?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 18, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Use the fact that (f_n) is cauchy to find an N such that if n,m>=N then ||f_n - f_m|| < 1. Then use the inequality |f(x)| <= |f(x) - f_N(x)| + |f_N(x)|.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?