The conversion of electrical energy to heat energy.

In summary: Okay, so we didn't take into account the mass of the heater coil, and the heater coil was copper. We're using a copper calorimeter. So everything except the heater coil should be copper. So we're losing heat somewhere, but where?In summary, the conversation discussed using a Joule's calorimeter to investigate the efficiency of converting electrical energy to heat energy. The equipment used included a Joule's calorimeter, balance, thermometer, power supply, ammeter, rheostat, stopwatch, electrical leads, and distilled water. The results of the experiment showed an unexpected over 100% efficiency, which was not possible since the conversion was from heat energy to electrical energy. The group suspected a measurement error and tried different methods
Sirsh
Question: Using a Joule's calorimeter to investigate the efficiency of the conversion of electrical energy to heat energy.

Equipment:
Joule's calorimeter
balance
thermometer (0-100degrees celsius)
power supply (0-12V)
ammeter (0-5A)
rheostat
stopwatch
electrical leads and distilled water

We carried out the prac to find the efficiency of the calorimeter with a copper coil, But we had a slight hick-up, we kept getting over 100% efficiency instead of under 100%. This isn't possible because we're not turning heat energy into electrical energy. Here are our results after we did the prac:

Initial temperature = 23degrees
Final temperature = 44.5degrees
Temperature equilibrium = 21.5degrees
Mass of distilled water = 0.094kgs
Mass of calorimeter = 0.122kgs
Current (I) = 2.2A
Potential difference (V) = 3.8V
Time = 880seconds
Specific heat capacity of water = 4180
Specific heat capacity of copper = 390
Relevant equations
P = IVt
Q=mc (delta) t

My attempts at the solution

P = 3.8*2.2*880
P = 7356.8W or 7356.8Js

Q(copper+water) = (0.0943*4180*21.5) + (0.122*390*21.5)
Q(copper+water) = 9497.7

Efficiency:

9497.7/7356.8 x 100% = 129.1% efficiency. How is this so? shouldn't it be lower.

Does anyone know what could be the problem/s. How to fix this issue? we tried 5 times and cept getting over 100% efficiency, Is there anything we can change to correct the efficiency?

Thank you, Sirsh.

Physics news on Phys.org
There is a measurement error of some kind. How are you measuring the water volume? Try changing your ammeter and voltmeter.

AM

We assumed that it had something to do with the Temperature equilibrium being too high. We tried it 5 times, with a 500mA ammeter and another Voltmetre of the same type (Cant remember the dial value) The instructions told us to raise the temperature by 20-30degrees from the original temp of the water which was around 23degrees.

The water was measured on a measuring scale, it was supposed to be 100ml's exactly but we only got 94.3ml's.

I've tried this investigation through theory work; like changing around variables, but the only way I have found it too work is if i change the water to ethylene glycol and the copper to aluminium, and that's not going to happen lol.

Sirsh said:
We assumed that it had something to do with the Temperature equilibrium being too high. We tried it 5 times, with a 500mA ammeter and another Voltmetre of the same type (Cant remember the dial value) The instructions told us to raise the temperature by 20-30degrees from the original temp of the water which was around 23degrees.

The water was measured on a measuring scale, it was supposed to be 100ml's exactly but we only got 94.3ml's.

I've tried this investigation through theory work; like changing around variables, but the only way I have found it too work is if i change the water to ethylene glycol and the copper to aluminium, and that's not going to happen lol.
Measure the resistance of the calorimeter. Use P = I^2R and see what you get. It should be the same if you are measuring the voltage at the right place (across the calorimeter) and using a voltmeter that does not affect the voltage.

Accuracy in measuring the mass of the water is critical. Are you measuring volume of water? How are you doing this?

AM

How would i go about getting the P value to work out the resistance of the calorimeter? would putting more volts into the circuit work? Um, the beaker was accurately measured by taking the mass of the pyrex beaker from the mass of the beaker + water in it.

Sirsh said:
How would i go about getting the P value to work out the resistance of the calorimeter? would putting more volts into the circuit work? Um, the beaker was accurately measured by taking the mass of the pyrex beaker from the mass of the beaker + water in it.
According to your data, the resistance is 1.73 ohms. If you put an ohmeter on it, that is what it should read. If not, there is something wrong with where you are taking your readings.

If the electrical measurements are correct and your water and temperature measurements are correct and if you are using a copper calorimeter, then you are losing heat somewhere.

AM

Okay, so 1.73Ohms. The wires are insulated, the calorimeter is heavily insulated (might be the issue, possibly if it wasnt, enough heat would escape to make the Q value in Q=mcT+mcT lower and the efficiency lower.) The only reason for what's going on from what i can think of is that the water is heating to quickly.

Because the Q(copper+water) is 9497.7J, I thought that i could try 9497.7 = 3.8*2.2*t, to find the specific time that it would needto make it close to 100% efficiency. but if i did that it would make the time greater, therefore making the temperature rise even more then it is, and then having the exact same problem..

Sirsh said:
Okay, so 1.73Ohms. The wires are insulated, the calorimeter is heavily insulated (might be the issue, possibly if it wasnt, enough heat would escape to make the Q value in Q=mcT+mcT lower and the efficiency lower.) The only reason for what's going on from what i can think of is that the water is heating to quickly.
No. This cannot be the reason. You are not going to discover that the specific heat of water is not 4180 J/kg-K. over this temperature range. You are doing something wrong in your measurements. Use an ohmmeter to verify that the resistance is 1.73 ohms. You also have to leave the calorimeter for a time in order for the heat in the heater coil to reach equilibrium with the calorimeter/water. Are you taking into account the mass of the heater coil?

You have to figure out what you are doing wrong. If you are using a copper calorimeter, either your electrical measurements are wrong, your time measurements are wrong, your mass measurements are wrong or your temperature measurements are wrong, or the heat is not transferring to or staying in the water/calorimeter.

AM

1. What is the process of converting electrical energy to heat energy?

The process of converting electrical energy to heat energy is called Joule heating. It occurs when an electric current passes through a conductor, causing resistance and generating heat.

2. How is the efficiency of converting electrical energy to heat energy measured?

The efficiency of converting electrical energy to heat energy is measured by the ratio of the amount of heat produced to the amount of electrical energy input. This is known as the conversion efficiency and is typically expressed as a percentage.

3. What factors affect the conversion of electrical energy to heat energy?

The conversion of electrical energy to heat energy is affected by several factors, including the type and material of the conductor, the amount of electrical current flowing through the conductor, the duration of the current flow, and the ambient temperature.

4. How is the heat generated from electrical energy used in everyday life?

The heat generated from converting electrical energy is used in various applications in everyday life, such as heating homes and buildings, cooking food, and powering electronic devices. It is also used in industrial processes, such as welding and metal smelting.

5. Can the conversion of electrical energy to heat energy be reversed?

Yes, the conversion of electrical energy to heat energy can be reversed through the use of electric heaters or heat pumps. These devices use electrical energy to transfer heat from one location to another, such as from the outside air to inside a building for heating purposes.