Does a copper plate affect mutual induction between two circular coils?

In summary, when a copper plate is introduced between two identical circular coils with current passing through them, the coefficient of mutual induction increases, leading to an increase in mutual induction. However, the introduction of the copper plate also results in the production of eddy currents which oppose the penetration of time varying magnetic fields and ultimately reduce the mutual induction. In this case, the friend's explanation is correct and the mutual inductance may become zero or close to zero if the copper plate is thick enough to completely shield the coils.
ragav
Two days ago in my physics class, one of my friends asked me a question:

"There are 2 identical circular coils with radius 'r', length 'l' and 'n' no. of turns placed with their axes lying on a straight line, and current is let to pass through them so that mutual induction is observed.What happens to the magnitude of mutual induction when a copper plate is introduced between these two coils?"

I said "The coefficient of mutual induction increases and thereby the mutual induction increases."

He said "Eddy currents are produced in the Cu plate and thereby mutual induction gets reduced".

And i still don't know which one is true.

--
rAgAv

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry, but it is your friend who is right. The eddy currents induced in the conducting plate opposes to the penetration of time varying magnetic fields. If the copper plate is thick (and big) enough it will shield the two coils. The mutual inductance will be zero (or near zero).

thanks. That helped

1. What is "The copper plate riddle"?

"The copper plate riddle" is a popular brain teaser that involves a copper plate, a candle, and a few other materials. The objective of the riddle is to figure out how to make the candle stay lit for a certain amount of time without using any other materials.

2. How did the riddle originate?

The origins of "The copper plate riddle" are unknown, but it is believed to have been used as a mental exercise for students in math and science fields. It has since become a popular puzzle among people of all ages.

3. What is the solution to the riddle?

The solution to "The copper plate riddle" involves using the copper plate as a makeshift reflector to focus the heat from the candle onto a specific spot, causing the wax to melt and the candle to stay lit for a longer period of time.

4. How long can the candle stay lit using this method?

The amount of time the candle can stay lit using this method varies depending on the size and type of candle, as well as the distance between the candle and the copper plate. However, with the correct setup, the candle can stay lit for several hours.

5. What is the scientific principle behind the solution?

The scientific principle behind the solution to "The copper plate riddle" is the reflection of heat energy. The copper plate acts as a reflector, directing the heat from the candle onto a specific spot, causing the wax to melt and the candle to stay lit. This is known as the law of reflection in physics.