Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The cost of bicycles

1. Mar 18, 2010 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Okay, I knew that bikes today are far more advanced than they were back when I was a rider, but this is ridiculous! A buddy of mine is having a new bike built as his older one doesn't fit him well. Cost: $10,000.

This includes a carbon-fiber frame and an electric shifter.

Jeez. If I had ten grand to drop on a bike, I would be on my way to Russia to fly a Mig! Screw the bike.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 18, 2010 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

How much is it going to weigh? That sounds like a professional racer quality bike. Sweet. (but yes, way more than I would pay myself)

4. Mar 18, 2010 #3

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think he said the frame is 2.5 Lbs, and the wheels [combined] are ~ 1.8 Lbs. I don't think he mentioned the final weight of the bike.

The shifter mechanism alone is several grand.

This guy is in his late sixties and can keep up with people in their twenties! True on the ski slopes as well. He is quite an impressive individual.

5. Mar 18, 2010 #4

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Did anyone tell him that for that much money, he could get a decent used car and save himself all the pedaling? :biggrin:

6. Mar 18, 2010 #5
    Last year I bought a new bike for $800 to replace the aging junk I had. It has hydraulic breaks, and heavy duty suspension. I went to Moab with it and it performed extremely well. But boy, you gotta be fit. Nevertheless it is the best investment I ever made to enjoy the outdoors.

But $10,000 grand for a bike? yikes. :surprised

7. Mar 18, 2010 #6

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I just splurged for my first new bike since 1993:

http://www.evanscycles.com/product_image/image/568/da5/84a/41207/product_page/specialized-tricross-comp-2010-cyclo-cross-bike.jpg [Broken]
    just under $2000. That was, and I use it for my daily commute.

$10,000? Sorry dude, that's flamboyant.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  8. Mar 18, 2010 #7
    I'll buy myself a nice Specialized one of these days. I am just too lazy to do the pedaling.

9. Mar 18, 2010 #8

Borek

From what I know $10k is ine the price range of pro bikes used in Tour de France and similar races.

10. Mar 18, 2010 #9

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's the low-end these days. In 2003, I think, Tyler Hamilton's Phonak team were riding $20,000 machines.

11. Mar 18, 2010 #10

Borek

I remember hearing about 30k PLN (~$10k) bike used by Sylwester Szmyd in last years races. I remember because that's almost exactly what we paid for Marzena's car (brand new Fiat Panda) five years ago.

Which doesn't mean you are wrong.

12. Mar 18, 2010 #11

That's not all that extraordinary. A low-end road bike might have a 3 lb frame and 3-3.5 lb wheels.

A big question in my mind is whether going to such extreme lengths as building a custom $10,000 bike has any effect on performance. Most serious competitions require bikes to weigh at least 15 lbs. My $600 Trek weighs 20. I think I can make it 17 or 18 with $300 of upgrades. Not that I have any desire to do so, because I'm not a competitive cyclist and I need to lose a lot of weight myself before I start splurging on the bike.

BTW, all those racing regulations seriously limit innovation. Forget weight. Road bikes of this day have aerodynamics of a brick (Cd ~0.9). Surely there are ways to cut that substantially by adding some lightweight composite fairings. Alas, those are banned...

Last edited: Mar 18, 2010
  13. Mar 18, 2010 #12
    completely agree. i have a collegiate class license, but i've seen some cat 1 guys, and their bikes are insane, but $10,000 seems quite a bit exorbitant even by racing standards, especially when you consider that unless you're cat 1 or above, you probably aren't good enough for most of what you're paying for to have any effect.

14. Mar 19, 2010 #13
    If you are riding a bicycle for exercise, then doesn't getting a more efficient bicycle defeat the purpose? If you are using it for transportation, then are you going to leave a $10,000 outside when you get to your destination?

15. Mar 19, 2010 #14

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

And if you are over 60 and trying to compete with 20 year olds, you need every advantage you can get. :biggrin:

16. Mar 19, 2010 #15
    people who spend more than $750-$1000 on a bike don't buy the bike for exercise or commuting. they buy it for the sport.

17. Mar 20, 2010 #16

Borek

What sport? Cycling, or bike buying?

18. Mar 20, 2010 #17

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Actually, I participate in the sport of bike-weighing.

Seriously, there is a huge jump in the quality of the frame and components when you go from $1000 to $2000. It's mostly in the components. The function isn't linear though. You have to spend twice as much more money to get "just a little better," and so on.

19. Mar 20, 2010 #18

turbo

Gold Member

Over a decade ago, I spent almost $300 on my mountain bike. I thought that was a lot of money then, but that was the price-point I had to meet to get quality shifters, good brakes, etc. When you're bashing a bike around on rough trails and logging roads, you want something that will hold up, so you can ride it back out, not walk it back out.

A friend of mine in college 40 years ago had a Peugot road-bike that cost well over $300 back then. It was a PITA, because he had to take it apart and lug it up to his room every night so it wouldn't get stolen.

20. Mar 20, 2010 #19
    My ex-boss spent a few grand on a bicycle and he only used it for exercise/commuting. He figured riding his bike to work was good multitasking.

21. Mar 20, 2010 #20

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I spent $1890 for my bike (see p.1), almost exclusively for commuting.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook