The Cowboys of the Physics Forums

In summary, a group of individuals with ancestral ties to the US during the nineteenth century have come together to form a club dedicated to exploring the lifestyle of American cowboys. Their vision includes a summer trip from Milwaukee to South Dakota on motorcycles, sleeping under the stars and cooking baked beans over an open fire. The group has been assigned to watch the movie Easy Rider and Blazing Saddles for inspiration, with the caveat of leaving out the killing. Discussions ensue about the potential adventures and dangers of such a trip, with one member sharing their family's history of being cattle ranchers in South Dakota. Some members even have a personal connection to each other's families. The conversation ends with the question of who considers themselves a true American cowboy.
eNtRopY
My ancestors came to the US during the latter half of the nineteenth century. They were Midwestern cowboys and cowgirls. I want to get back to roots and explore what it means to be a true American cowboy. For this reason, I starting a club for people who want to explore this avenue with me.

I have a vision. Next summer, a bunch us get motorcycles and ride from Milwaukee to the plains of South Dakota. We will sleep under the stars, eat baked beans cooked over an open fire, and hopefully leave with some valuable life experiences.

For those of you interested here is first homework assignment. I want you to watch the movie Easy Rider... 'cause that's exactly how our trip is going to be... minus the killing.

eNtRopY

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by eNtRopY

...eat baked beans cooked over an open fire, ...

...I want you to watch the movie Easy Rider...

eNtRopY

Also check out Mel Brook's "Blazing Saddles" especially the campfire scene.

And don't sit too close to the open fire.

What? No killin? Bahhh what a killjoy! Can we at least do some maiming and general mayhem?

Originally posted by Zantra
What? No killin? Bahhh what a killjoy! Can we at least do some maiming and general mayhem?

Don't worry, WE can kill. I just mean that unlike the Easy Riders (from the movie) we won't be killed by southern rednecks.

eNtRopY

Don't worry, WE can kill. I just mean that unlike the Easy Riders (from the movie) we won't be killed by southern rednecks.

eNtRopY

Can you say deliverance?

Originally posted by Zantra
Can you say deliverance?

What's worse Deliverance-style or Pulp-Fiction-style?

eNtRopY

Deliverance for sure! Hey they got away in Pulp Fiction!

Old west was a cool time. Sounds like an interesting project entropy. I personally love outdoors, and I ride dirtbikes. IMO, this is the closest thing you can get to a modernized cowboy expieriance minus a heard of cattle and riding horseback.

To actually adventure through forests, creeks, mountains sides, etc is an awesome rush, and a new story to tell after each trip.

I've wondered if it would be possible to go cross country on powerline trails.

You mean we get to participate in drug trafficing, go to a whore house, and visit hippie communes? I'd be in if I had a bike.

..vision...of...stars...baked...and hopefully leave...valuable

... minus the killing.
eNtRopY

thats good!

My cousin follows the [New] Harley crowd around the world. We cruised Holland on a Harley. Now I never thought I would say that!

Also, my family once owned much of land around them Black Hills of SD; even some of the gold! My great great grandfather floated to New York from Finland. He then walked to South Dakota and homesteaded tens of thousands of acres. From then, most of that side of the family consisted of cattle ranchers; beef and milk. To feed the cattle, they grow corn and other crops. Life is hard: The cows need you everyday - at least three times. You can never leave. You work really long days. And you really, really, really hate cows!

Also, as a kid, if you happen to work the summer in the slaughter house, you will not eat beef for several years.

My dad's was the first generation to break away and go to college. This may have had much to do with summers at the slaughter house.

Originally posted by Ivan Seeking
Also, my family once owned much of land around them Black Hills of SD; even some of the gold! My great great grandfather floated to New York from Finland. He then walked to South Dakota and homesteaded tens of thousands of acres. From then, most of that side of the family consisted of cattle ranchers; beef and milk. To feed the cattle, they grow corn and other crops. Life is hard: The cows need you everyday - at least three times. You can never leave. You work really long days. And you really, really, really hate cows!

Well, my mother's family immigrated to the US from Germany. They were horse ranchers in South Dakota. Before coming to America, my great-great-grandfather spent a few years in Russia where he was trained by the army as a quartermaster. He was one of the most skilled horse trainers in South Dakota at that time. His ranch had a reputation for being the best in the state.

eNtRopY

Originally posted by RageSk8
You mean we get to participate in drug trafficing, go to a whore house, and visit hippie communes? I'd be in if I had a bike.

Oh really? this is shaping up to be pretty good after all! I'm in!

Well, my mother's family immigrated to the US from Germany. They were horse ranchers in South Dakota. Before coming to America, my great-great-grandfather spent a few years in Russia where he was trained by the army as a quartermaster. He was one of the most skilled horse trainers in South Dakota at that time. His ranch had a reputation for being the best in the state.

eNtRopY

Entropy, there is little doubt that my family knew your family.:wink:
In fact, they probably fought Indians [native Americans] together.

Note that this is interesting since some of my other relatives are native Americans... I am about 1/16 native American. I am also about 30% German. That's the other side of the family.

Also, I ran into an old gent in Oregon that was on the last great cattle drive - circa 1930 I think. They rode from Portland Oregon, to Belle Fusche SD. This was also the big town closest to my family's homestead.

Last edited:
So anyway, who here considers themself an American cowboy?

I know I do!

I'm not saying I wear ponchos or cowboy hats or cowboy boots for that matter. I don't even listen to western music. I think being a cowboy is more of an attitude. I think it involves the mindset of being self-reliant, strong, and free.

eNtRopY

Ha funny that you should ahve found this thread. I don't consider myself an American Cowboy, But maybe a Knight of the Round Table.

Any of you read the Sackett stories by Louie L'Amour?

My Grandfather, his dad and brother ran the Mora county ranch from the turn of the century to after WWI, All the boys were in excess of 6' tall. I say they ARE the Sacketts

Originally posted by Andy
Ha funny that you should ahve found this thread. I don't consider myself an American Cowboy, But maybe a Knight of the Round Table.

Well, don't you have to have an appointed from the queen for that title? Like the one she gave Sir Anthony Hopkins or Sir Elton John?

eNtRopY

eNtRopY
Hell, some of us will BE the southern rednecks...

*dodges skillfully*

Any of you read the Sackett stories by Louie L'Amour?

My Grandfather, his dad and brother ran the Mora county ranch from the turn of the century to after WWI, All the boys were in excess of 6' tall. I say they ARE the Sacketts

Integral, my answer to ur questions is no never heard of them maybe they haven't reached british shores yet.

Entropy i believe your rite, so maybe i will just be an English Cowboy instead.

1. Who are the Cowboys of the Physics Forums?

The Cowboys of the Physics Forums are a group of dedicated and enthusiastic scientists who are active members of the Physics Forums online community. They are known for their expertise and contributions to discussions and problem-solving in various fields of physics.

2. How did they get their name?

The group was originally formed by a few members who shared a love for physics and Western films, particularly those featuring cowboys. They decided to adopt the name "Cowboys of the Physics Forums" as a fun and unique way to represent their passion for both science and Western culture.

3. What makes them stand out from other members on the Physics Forums?

The Cowboys are known for their exceptional knowledge and skills in physics, and for their willingness to help others understand complex concepts. They are also known for their friendly and welcoming attitude towards new members, making them a valuable and respected part of the Physics Forums community.

4. Can anyone become a Cowboy of the Physics Forums?

Yes, anyone with a passion for physics and a desire to contribute to the community can become a Cowboy. The title is not an official designation, but rather a symbol of recognition for active and respected members of the Physics Forums.

5. How can I join the Cowboys of the Physics Forums?

If you are interested in becoming a Cowboy, the best way is to actively participate in discussions and contribute to the community. Show your passion and expertise in physics, and you may be recognized and welcomed as a member of the Cowboys of the Physics Forums.