1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The Crashing of Cars

1. Oct 20, 2007 #1
    You testify as an "expert witness" in a case involving an accident in which car A slid into the rear of car B, which was stopped at a red light along a road headed down a hill. You find that the slope of the hill is θ = 12.0°, that the cars were separated by distance d = 25.5 m when the driver of car A put the car into a slide (it lacked any automatic anti-brake-lock system), and that the speed of car A at the onset of braking was v0 = 18.0 m/s.

(a) With what speed did car A hit car B if the coefficient of kinetic friction was 0.60 (dry road surface)?

how I went about the problem:

a = acceleration only in x direction

for car A:
    Fnet = mAa --> WA2 - Fk = (mA)a --> (mA)(g)(sin12.0) - [tex]\mu_k[/tex] (mA)(g) = (mA)a

now i divided everything by (mB) to get final equation of:
    (g)(sin12.0) - [tex]\mu_k[/tex] (g) = a

now since constant acceleration I plugged a into the equation of

V^2 = 2a(delta x) + Vo^2 to get --> V^2 = 2((g)(sin12.0) - [tex]\mu_k[/tex] (g))(x) =Vo^2

plugged in everything I know:

v^2 = 2 (2(9.8sin12.0 - ((0.6)(9.8)))(25.5) - 18^2

then take the square root to get v = 11.3152m/s

why is this not right?
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted