1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The creation of matter

1. Aug 11, 2014 #1
    If matter and anti matter can combine to cancel each other out, can your reverse the process to pull matter and anti matter from nothing? I ask in a theoretical sense, not weather we are currently capable or not.

Looking forward to your responses!

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 11, 2014 #2

Nugatory

Staff: Mentor

Yes. Google for "pair production".

4. Aug 11, 2014 #3
    That's still energy though. Unless I am wrong about anti matter (matter and anti matter cancel each other out into nothing). What I mean is can you take nothing, flip a few switches and push a few buttons to fabricate matter and anti matter from the fabric of space.

5. Aug 11, 2014 #4

Dale

Matter and anti matter don't cancel each other out. They annihilate each other, producing two photons. And yes, the process can be reversed so that two photons can produce an electron and a positron.

6. Aug 11, 2014 #5

Dale

This is wrong. It would violate the conservation of energy. See above.

7. Aug 11, 2014 #6
    Alright, thanks for the clarification. Is there any way to to make matter into nothing?

8. Aug 11, 2014 #7

Dale

No, it would violate conservation of energy.

9. Aug 24, 2014 #8
    Einstein's theory of relativity states that E=mc^2 or E^2=(mc^2)^2x(pc)^2. Which means that abundant energy creates mass and vice versa.

10. Aug 24, 2014 #9
    Sorry, to actually answer your question, given an infinite amount of time matter could 'appear' spontaneously.
    Although, given a finite time scale this anti-matter reversal would be very improbable. On the other hand, if any energy or matter is present at all, this process would be probable.

11. Aug 24, 2014 #10

ChrisVer

Gold Member

There is no such thing as "nothing" in fact... except for singular points (perhaps) since by definition they are missing/cannot be studied... even the vacuum is a soup of virtual particles- give them enough energy and they will pop up...

12. Aug 24, 2014 #11

Drakkith

What process are you talking about? Why would matter appear spontaneously?

13. Aug 25, 2014 #12
    @Drak Quantum physics dictates that if an infinite amount of time is "available", with even the smallest amount of matter or energy present, almost any possible combination of matter could be created. When I said "appear", I meant come from other places within the universe. In fact, my wording was rather poor in my previous point.

By 'process', I was referring to the question, the "pulling matter from nothing" question.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2014
  14. Aug 25, 2014 #13

Drakkith

Okay, I see what you mean now.

15. Aug 25, 2014 #14

TheDemx27

Gold Member

The best you can do annihilate anti-particle particle pairs into electromagnetic waves. To actually turn something into nothing would take an act of god. :tongue:

16. Aug 27, 2014 #15
    Doesn't the energy-time version of Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle say that mass/energy can pop into existence for very short times?

Might be a silly question, but this is what I've gathered from reading about it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook