Create Matter: Can it be Reverse Engineered from Nothing?

In summary: Might be a silly question, but this is what I've gathered from reading about it.The energy-time version of Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle states that for very short times, mass and energy can spontaneously appear. Although this would violate the conservation of energy, it is possible for this to happen.
2Chewz
If matter and anti matter can combine to cancel each other out, can your reverse the process to pull matter and anti matter from nothing? I ask in a theoretical sense, not weather we are currently capable or not.

Looking forward to your responses!

Physics news on Phys.org
2Chewz said:
If matter and anti matter can combine to cancel each other out, can your reverse the process to pull matter and anti matter from nothing? I ask in a theoretical sense, not weather we are currently capable or not.

Yes. Google for "pair production".

Nugatory said:
Yes. Google for "pair production".

That's still energy though. Unless I am wrong about anti matter (matter and anti matter cancel each other out into nothing). What I mean is can you take nothing, flip a few switches and push a few buttons to fabricate matter and anti matter from the fabric of space.

2Chewz said:
If matter and anti matter can combine to cancel each other out, can your reverse the process to pull matter and anti matter from nothing?
Matter and anti matter don't cancel each other out. They annihilate each other, producing two photons. And yes, the process can be reversed so that two photons can produce an electron and a positron.

2Chewz said:
Unless I am wrong about anti matter (matter and anti matter cancel each other out into nothing).
This is wrong. It would violate the conservation of energy. See above.

DaleSpam said:
Matter and anti matter don't cancel each other out. They annihilate each other, producing two photons. And yes, the process can be reversed so that two photons can produce an electron and a positron.

Alright, thanks for the clarification. Is there any way to to make matter into nothing?

No, it would violate conservation of energy.

Einstein's theory of relativity states that E=mc^2 or E^2=(mc^2)^2x(pc)^2. Which means that abundant energy creates mass and vice versa.

Sorry, to actually answer your question, given an infinite amount of time matter could 'appear' spontaneously.
Although, given a finite time scale this anti-matter reversal would be very improbable. On the other hand, if any energy or matter is present at all, this process would be probable.

There is no such thing as "nothing" in fact... except for singular points (perhaps) since by definition they are missing/cannot be studied... even the vacuum is a soup of virtual particles- give them enough energy and they will pop up...

WildHYDRA said:
Sorry, to actually answer your question, given an infinite amount of time matter could 'appear' spontaneously.
Although, given a finite time scale this anti-matter reversal would be very improbable. On the other hand, if any energy or matter is present at all, this process would be probable.

What process are you talking about? Why would matter appear spontaneously?

@Drak Quantum physics dictates that if an infinite amount of time is "available", with even the smallest amount of matter or energy present, almost any possible combination of matter could be created. When I said "appear", I meant come from other places within the universe. In fact, my wording was rather poor in my previous point.

By 'process', I was referring to the question, the "pulling matter from nothing" question.

Last edited:
Okay, I see what you mean now.

2Chewz said:
Alright, thanks for the clarification. Is there any way to to make matter into nothing?

The best you can do annihilate anti-particle particle pairs into electromagnetic waves. To actually turn something into nothing would take an act of god. :tongue:

Doesn't the energy-time version of Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle say that mass/energy can pop into existence for very short times?

Might be a silly question, but this is what I've gathered from reading about it.

1. Can matter be created from nothing?

No, according to the Law of Conservation of Mass, matter cannot be created or destroyed. It can only be converted from one form to another.

2. What is reverse engineering?

Reverse engineering is the process of taking apart a product or system to understand its design and functionality. It involves analyzing its components and structure to create a similar or improved version.

3. Is it possible to reverse engineer matter?

No, matter cannot be reverse engineered because it is not a man-made product or system. It is a fundamental building block of the universe that cannot be broken down or recreated.

4. Are there any theories about creating matter from nothing?

There are theories such as quantum field theory and the Big Bang theory that attempt to explain the origins of matter. However, these theories do not involve creating matter from nothing, but rather the transformation of energy into matter.

5. Can we ever create matter from nothing in the future?

It is highly unlikely that we will ever be able to create matter from nothing, as it would require breaking the fundamental laws of physics. However, advancements in technology and scientific understanding may allow us to manipulate matter in ways that were previously thought to be impossible.