Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The credentials and employment history of Thomas Campbell, author of My Big TOE .

1. Jan 29, 2013 #1
    The credentials and employment history of Thomas Campbell, author of "My Big TOE".

Hello guys. I am currently embroiled in writing a paper on the limitations of the standard scientific method and wish to reference Thomas Campbell's work in said paper. On his website, and during interviews and speaking engagements, he claims to have graduated from Bethany college with a degree in physics and then to have worked as a consultant for NASA. The only problem is that I cannot find any information regarding the veracity of the above aforementioned credentials and work history. If anyone is familiar with him, or be able to point me in the right direction of where to look for said credentials and work history, I would be very thankful. Thanks in advance for any and all comments.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 29, 2013 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Re: The credentials and employment history of Thomas Campbell, author of "My Big TOE"

Aside from affiliations with known cranks like Dean Radin, and other woowoo, I can't find anything about him.

4. Jan 29, 2013 #3
    Re: The credentials and employment history of Thomas Campbell, author of "My Big TOE"

Well, there certainly must be a way of ascertaining whether someone graduated from an institution, no? It is just so easy these days to have a fake diploma, or even no diploma and pass yourself off as an expert in some field without having any actual knowledge on the subject. It is worrisome to me.

5. Jan 29, 2013 #4

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sure. Email the institution's admin office and ask them. It will help if you konw the year when the alleged graduation took place.

6. Jan 29, 2013 #5

I have, and am currently waiting for a reply. The year of graduation is listed as 1966. Though, are there not privacy laws that would bar them from releasing information on alumni, either current or past?

7. Jan 29, 2013 #6

Evo

Well, he's not listed as a "notable alumni" and one "notable alumni" they do list is an unheard of sportswriter that didn't even graduate.

8. Jan 29, 2013 #7

Yes, apparently an unknown sportscaster is more important than someone who works for NASA. Lol. The man must be a charlatan. The sort of bravery it would take to claim that you went to a specific school, and then to have worked for the agency who put men into orbit....amazing. I am not being sarcastic. I am really astounded at people. The nerve of that man to pass himself off as a scientist when he most likely is not. I am very frustrated right now. Arg.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2013
  9. Jan 29, 2013 #8

Evo

Well, we don't know anything about him at this point. I could see him not being mentioned as a "notable alumni" due to his "work" being what it is, non-scientific woowoo. Doesn't mean he didn't get an undergraduate degree in physics, that's nothing unique.

10. Jan 29, 2013 #9

PAllen

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Some years ago there was a politician in my state who claimed a doctorate from Heidelberg University. Turns out he never left the US or attended a single year of college.

11. Jan 29, 2013 #10

Evo

Also, he makes no claims as to what his jobs were. NASA employs janitors too. A lot of people allow others to read more into their claims than is there. I also read that he didn't even actually work for NASA but for a "consultant". Just because you worked at the Whitehouse doesn't mean anything. Maybe you emptied the ashtrays. This is a common ploy by people that might have worked somewhere notable for a few days in a lowly job that want it to sound like they did more than they did. It's when the person fails to state what their position was and how long they held it that my spidey senses go up. There is no reference I can find as to his actual work. What exactly are you writing about?

12. Jan 29, 2013 #11

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If he claims to have an educational qualification (e.g. a degree) from the college, that information is in the publis donain. For example if he claimed that in his CV for a job application, it is certainly legal to check if it's true or not.

13. Jan 29, 2013 #12

You raise good points. My sentiments are in line with yours. His entire background in "Science" seems questionable.

My friend and I are writing papers for eachother, to try and clearly state our points of view in regards to reality. He is very materialistic, e.g. he believes that the brain creates consciousness. I think that consciousness is a non-physical thing that interacts with the brain, but is not created by neuronal activity. I recently found works by Thomas Campbell, and thought that I had hit the jackpot, but then searched for verification of his credentials and could find none.

14. Jan 29, 2013 #13

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Maybe it was "Idle bu**** university", but he was trying to fake a posh "haccent" :biggrin:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook